Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

22 Cal To Shoot Deer

Old 01-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 22 Cal To Shoot Deer

I stand corrected![&:] I was talking to my buddy about the test with the 5lb bucket of sand and the different calibers of guns -vs- a high kinetic energy producing bow. As he recalls the test was done with bigger calibers and heavy grain bullets. I know the fellas in the technical forum could probably explain it in detail.
Anyway , I'd still choose my bow over any .22 caliber centerfire for deer. Not that they dont work , I've watched my brother down plenty of whitetails with his AR15 .223 , I just love my bow.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:28 PM

undefined
Fanatic I think the last few post pretty much say what Iwas going to on penetration.
I have a .220 swift and have shot it at the following items.

Using .55 grain open point bullets.

Shot thru 3/8 inch plate steel,hole looked lie it was made with a plasma torch.
Shot thru 5 2x6 blocks back to back,blowing last two in half.

Shot thru 55 gallon drum of water with lid,bursted seam and blew 3 inch hole out the back side,

4 vertical shots on a foam lifesize deer bow target that arrows will not penetrate thru and blew it in half.

Shot 10 watermellons lined up in a row and turned them all to soup.

Shot thru a 6inch locust fence post.

I cannot believe any bow would have that much penetration!

And yes I have shot many deer with it, most shots do not pass thru due to the bullets I use,but the open nosed rounds will blow a hole out the other side the size of a playing card.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: fairchase Larry

undefined
Fanatic I think the last few post pretty much say what Iwas going to on penetration.
I have a .220 swift and have shot it at the following items.

Using .55 grain open point bullets.

Shot thru 3/8 inch plate steel,hole looked lie it was made with a plasma torch.
Shot thru 5 2x6 blocks back to back,blowing last two in half.

Shot thru 55 gallon drum of water with lid,bursted seam and blew 3 inch hole out the back side,

4 vertical shots on a foam lifesize deer bow target that arrows will not penetrate thru and blew it in half.

Shot 10 watermellons lined up in a row and turned them all to soup.

Shot thru a 6inch locust fence post.

I cannot believe any bow would have that much penetration!

And yes I have shot many deer with it, most shots do not pass thru due to the bullets I use,but the open nosed rounds will blow a hole out the other side the size of a playing card.
This is what I think is going on. You could shoot certain bullets through that stuff but some would blow up. I think the .22 cal bullets got a bad rap because people were using varmint bullets to shoot deer. Bullets have become so much better, people are able to shoot elk with 117 or 120 grain 25-06 bonded bullets. 20 years ago that would have been stupid. But I think things have changed IF you use the proper bullet for the game. In 22, you need a bonded bullet or barnes or similar IMO. If you use a varmint round like the v-max you are asking for a lot of wounded deer unless you can hit them in the right place in the head every time.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Larry , can I put A1 steak sauce or even ketchup on that crow to make it taste better? See above post.

zrexpilot , there are plenty of bowhunters in the bowhunting forum who can vouge for the fact that a high KE producing bow can blow thru two shoulders on a deer. Yes shoulder bone!

to put it simple , i shot a deer with a 22-250 this past firday , shot it in the head , my 55 grain nosler ballistic tip went the whole way through the head , follwed the spine down , and went into the chest , blowing the heart out.
Am I misinformed on something? That sounds like a long way for a ballistic tip to travel beyond impact before making a mess.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats hard to believe, I hang out in the bow forums and everyone says shooting a deer with a bow in the shoulders is a big NO NO!
My buddy just bought a Bow tech (latest greatest) and he didnt even get an exit wound ( much less a pass thorough) on a shoulder shot deer this year.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:49 PM

ORIGINAL: BOWFANATIC

Larry , can I put A1 steak sauce or even ketchup on that crow to make it taste better? See above post.

zrexpilot , there are plenty of bowhunters in the bowhunting forum who can vouge for the fact that a high KE producing bow can blow thru two shoulders on a deer. Yes shoulder bone!

to put it simple , i shot a deer with a 22-250 this past firday , shot it in the head , my 55 grain nosler ballistic tip went the whole way through the head , follwed the spine down , and went into the chest , blowing the heart out.
Am I misinformed on something? That sounds like a long way for a ballistic tip to travel beyond impact before making a mess.

Yes, not only has bullet design come a long way but so has arrow and broadhead design!
Old 01-18-2005, 08:49 PM

My hunting buddy is also a taxidermist, his son shot a nice 2 1/2 yr old 8 point this Nov that had a 22 long rifle bullet laying undedr the edge of his ear that had split his ear at a early age and the hide had grown right over top of it with no ill effects on the deer. NO I WOULD SAY IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL TO USE A 22 cal Rifle on any big game, you sure can't use it in KY.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HighBow

My hunting buddy is also a taxidermist, his son shot a nice 2 1/2 yr old 8 point this Nov that had a 22 long rifle bullet laying undedr the edge of his ear that had split his ear at a early age and the hide had grown right over top of it with no ill effects on the deer. NO I WOULD SAY IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL TO USE A 22 cal Rifle on any big game, you sure can't use it in KY.
There's a world of difference between a .22LR and a .22 centerfire. A .22LR is illegal in TX, where a centerfire is not.

This is what I think is going on. You could shoot certain bullets through that stuff but some would blow up. I think the .22 cal bullets got a bad rap because people were using varmint bullets to shoot deer. Bullets have become so much better, people are able to shoot elk with 117 or 120 grain 25-06 bonded bullets. 20 years ago that would have been stupid. But I think things have changed IF you use the proper bullet for the game. In 22, you need a bonded bullet or barnes or similar IMO. If you use a varmint round like the v-max you are asking for a lot of wounded deer unless you can hit them in the right place in the head every time.
I agree. I handload, so I have the advantage of picking different bullets for different applications. I bought some Barnes Triple Shock 53 gr., which are supposed to penetrate and mushroom while retaining most of their weight. I packed a box (about 12 inches deep) full of dirt. I shot at 150 yds. to see if those bullets would expand like they were supposed to. They penetrated almost completely through, with one just touching the cardboard on the opposite side. They mushroomed perfectly, retaining 100% of their weight. The varmint bullets only penetrated a couple of inches, fragmenting into tiny little pieces. The copper jacket was about all that could be identified. Varmint bullets are deadly in the neck, especially the thinner necks of doe. But for deer hunting, a good bullet makes all the difference in the world.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:33 AM

ORIGINAL: North Texan

ORIGINAL: HighBow

There's a world of difference between a .22LR and a .22 centerfire. A .22LR is illegal in TX, where a centerfire is not.

I agree. I handload, so I have the advantage of picking different bullets for different applications. I bought some Barnes Triple Shock 53 gr., which are supposed to penetrate and mushroom while retaining most of their weight. I packed a box (about 12 inches deep) full of dirt. I shot at 150 yds. to see if those bullets would expand like they were supposed to. They penetrated almost completely through, with one just touching the cardboard on the opposite side. They mushroomed perfectly, retaining 100% of their weight. The varmint bullets only penetrated a couple of inches, fragmenting into tiny little pieces. The copper jacket was about all that could be identified. Varmint bullets are deadly in the neck, especially the thinner necks of doe. But for deer hunting, a good bullet makes all the difference in the world.
Does anyone make loaded ammo with the tripple shock in .223 and .243? Especially .223.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not to my knowledge. That was one of the factors I took into consideration when deciding whether to start reloading or not. It seems that most ammo manufacturers currently think that .223 users only need match or varmint bullets. I think that the triple shocks hold a big advantage for predator hunting. A lot of times, I'll see coyotes coming to a call, but the broomweeds are so high I can only see their head. At first, I thought I could just drop my point of aim down and shoot through the broomweeds and hit them in the side. Doesn't work. The thin bullets spin so fast that they fly apart when they hit anything, even broomweeds. Fragments will knock hair off, but rarely kill the coyote. This forces me to aim for the head. With Triple Shocks, I won't have to do that anymore.

Quick Reply: 22 Cal To Shoot Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.