Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Shooting mature does vs shooting small deer >

Shooting mature does vs shooting small deer

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting mature does vs shooting small deer

Old 12-24-2004, 05:31 AM

Default RE: Shooting mature does vs shooting small deer

I would mix it up! Shoot a combo of mature and young does. They (biologist) say that the older does are the keepers of the herd, being that they can protect little ones from danger (yearling bucks too) such as cars, yotes ect ect.... and the abandantment rate is lower with older does. But on the other hand you don't want just older ones breeding exclusivley if they are past there prime. I would combo it up and even take out a few of each and also some 2+ year old basket racks too.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shooting mature does vs shooting small deer

I agree with you. We only shoot 3 1/2 or older deer buck or doe. We don't even own any of our own land either. I've had meat from hundreds of different deer & never had a bad piece either. I don't know what these guys do to theirs that say only young deer taste good or arn't tough.