Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

gunshot

Old 12-16-2004, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default gunshot

does a gunshot scare a deer into not coming back to that location? I have heard that it will just scare them but after a few minutes it's like nothing ever happened.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: gunshot

i'm not sure about a few minutes..but when my uncle shot his.. my buck came along about an hour after the shot...not sure if that helps
Old 12-16-2004, 10:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

their memory is not like ours.Also the wave length they hear at ,the gun dont sound kilike we here it.After saying that I dont think it will NOT stop them from coming back the next day.Odor is more important.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

I have shot lots of deer and believe a gunshot will not alarm a deer if that is the only thing it senses. Combine a shot with movement,scent of other sounds and deer will scram. This is only a short term fright . They will return later. I have shot several deer at once on many occasions the first deer drops and the others look at him until they drop too. They never knew I was there .
Old 12-16-2004, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

In most circumstances deer do not appear to be that frightened by gunshots. Some will just stand there. Even if one does run at the sound, I hardly think it would be scared enough to not return.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

cool..thanks for the input. I haven't had the best season and i was just worried about a buck we saw sunday. Just making sure there would be another chance at him.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:46 PM

I shot a doe about a month ago who was with a forky. as soon as I shot the buck ran off. Even though I saw the doe go down, I still waited about 15 min. and just stood there looking around. Right as I was going to take my first step to go retreive my prize, I saw something out of the corner of my eye, so I stood still. I watched that same little buck slowly meander about 30 feet from me before walking off.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:13 PM

I've taken deer on several occasions where they didnt spook until i made a drastic movement. I even had a buddy of mine on a manangement hunt take two does and a ratty looking four point from the same stand in less than ten minutes.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

I shot a coyote and the deer at my feeder kept eating. I have shot a nice buck within minutes of shooting a doe out of a herd of about 6. He walked up and was looking at her when I shot him. If the bullet hits nearby they tend to freak out a little. I think there are so many gunshots where I hunt that its just like a tractor running in the background, everday thing.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:28 PM

treehugger,
Good post,I wondered the same thing.I feel a little better about my hunt this weekend since how I missed a buck last weekend.Man that sucks!!
JE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.