Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How do you hang your deer?????? >

How do you hang your deer??????

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you hang your deer??????

Old 12-15-2004, 01:11 AM

Default How do you hang your deer??????

Hey guys, I was just wondering if there is any right/wrong way to hang a deer after gutting it? I was told that if it is a buck never to hang it by the neck and if it is a doe you can hang it by the neck.......Very confused......Thanks Matt
Old 12-15-2004, 03:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How do you hang your deer??????

I use one of the pulley and bar set ups from Bass P the points of the hanger go through the hocks just above the knee thus they hang head down. Since you should skin them from the rear down it makes sense to hang them this way. Skinning from the rear down to the head keeps more hair off the meat. A butcher told me that a few years back and he does several hundred a year. For $15 or so the pully is a must
Old 12-15-2004, 06:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just throw it in the trunk and take it right to the butcher.I noticed he hangs all the deer from the hind legs
Old 12-15-2004, 07:09 AM

Head down. . .works good for gutting too. Ever been to a slaughter house. . . .they hang em all head down. Perhaps they are on to something?
Old 12-15-2004, 07:11 AM

head down.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

You don't want to tie the rope around a buck's neck if you plan to mount it. It messes with the hair. If you hang a buck by the head, use the rack. If you're not planning a mount, it makes no difference for hanging. Deer do drain better hung head high.

In warmer weather it is helpful to hang from the hocks, so you can pack ice in the deer. The ribs will hold the ice in. You want to make sure the melt water can drain though.

For skinning, it is best to hang by the hocks, but you want to be careful of the rack if you plan to save it. I've seen plenty of chipped tines that were caused by smacking against a hard floor.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:26 PM

HEAD DOWN.... This allows blood and other fluids to drain from the large muscle groups and will yield a better tasting deer. It is also easier to skin, cape, and butcher hanging head down.

While we are on the subject, how long do you hang your deer? I try to let mine hang as long as possible (wife permits) before taking to the butcher.

You should be aware that the beef that you buy in the supermarket hangs in a cold box for about 45 days before the final cutting. Restaraunt beef (the better ones anyway) use beef aged up to 90 days.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:39 PM

i hang them head up to get the blood out and try to let them hang for at least a day so most of the blood is drained. then when i go to butcher the deer i hang them head down. if it is a buck i will put a old towel under his rack so it doesn’t hit when i bring it up.

i also bought a electric hoist on sale for $100 all you have to do is push the up button and it brings the deer up. i mounted an eye hook in the floor and have it hooked up so i can attach it to the deer's fur so when i pull the deer up it also pulls the skin off. makes life a lot simpler
Old 12-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I hang them, I hang them head down. I did one head up once, it wasn't as neat and seemed dis-respectful somehow. Last couple of years tho I havn't even bothered to hang them, if I have any help I do the whole process with him laying on a table.
I killed my first buck this yr sat. and a friend wanted to help me skin it. We hung him head up. His way of doing it was to make one inch slits on each leg. Then we took an air compressor and put the nozzle in the slit. It blew the hide up like a balloon, making the 150lb buck look like he was at least 250. After that we skinned him regular, and the hide was really easy to come off. To me it seemed kinda disrespectful, but it made for a really easy job.
One more thing . . .we did'nt gut him before using the compressor. That was done after the skinning.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

Call me old fashioned...but I have always field dressed my deer out in the woods. As for the meat.....I think it's easier to take it to the butcher myself.

Quick Reply: How do you hang your deer??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.