Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Luck and Hunting

Old 12-27-2004, 04:35 PM

Default RE: Luck and Hunting

Its being at the right place at the right time IMO.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

all i know the more i hunt the luckier i get...you need to hunt smart and put in your time in a good area..
Old 12-28-2004, 01:53 PM

Here is the way I look at it. There is a base percentage chance of killing a deer, lets say X%. Your skills and environment affect that percentage, it is constantly changing. An expert deer hunter may have X+Y% chance, but may also have X - Y% chance if unbeknownst to him someone spread coyote urine in a radius around his stand. I lump the environmental factors into a "luck factor". However, skill and the environment are not unrelated. A more skilled hunter can better control the environment factor than an unskilled hunter. It is usually a matter of semantics whether you "believe" in luck or not. I don't believe in some mysterious force of luck, I simply call unexpected developments lucky or unlucky depending on how they affect me.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:27 PM

Don't know who really started this phrase, but it's one of my favorites: "Success is when preparedness meets opportunity".

Another way of saying that without some luck, it's almost hopeless, but you've got to be prepared because you don't know when luck will strike.

One thing is for sure, if you don't get out there, you will need LOTS of luck to get one in your back yard, The more you get out there, the less luck you need.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:58 PM

luck is a tool of the devil. When you want to kill a buck do not shoot a doe. If you are hunting for food then shoot a doe if thats what comes by and don't worry about what so an so killed. My friends say i was lucky cause i didn't get killed in a tractor accident , i say it just wasn't my time,my friends say i am lucky to have killed many a big buck ,i say it was because i was hunting bucks not luck. Don't let luck be a part of your hunt just hunt , the deer are there and none of them want to die .Do you think that when the deer run off untouched they say man we were lucky,no they say man what a lousy shot that guy was.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

Do you think that when the deer run off untouched they say man we were lucky,no they say man what a lousy shot that guy was.
I think I know the deer you were talking to!!!! Was he from Jersey? LOL!!!
Old 12-29-2004, 01:23 PM

ORIGINAL: little-d

luck is a tool of the devil. When you want to kill a buck do not shoot a doe. If you are hunting for food then shoot a doe if thats what comes by and don't worry about what so an so killed. My friends say i was lucky cause i didn't get killed in a tractor accident , i say it just wasn't my time,my friends say i am lucky to have killed many a big buck ,i say it was because i was hunting bucks not luck. Don't let luck be a part of your hunt just hunt , the deer are there and none of them want to die .Do you think that when the deer run off untouched they say man we were lucky,no they say man what a lousy shot that guy was.
what he said
Old 12-29-2004, 02:27 PM

Who made the deer?? ASK him for one
Thats what I do.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:28 PM
Typical Buck

That's really well said Deerslayer. My point in stressing the luck aspect of hunting is to urge people to get out there and hunt. You break down the luck element if you spend a lot of time in the woods. (The more times you roll that dice the better chance you have of scoring.)
Old 12-29-2004, 02:36 PM

chance if unbeknownst to him someone spread coyote urine in a radius around his stand
So thats how I get the guys I dont like to not get deer

Quick Reply: Luck and Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.