Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Allergic to deer???

Old 12-13-2004, 07:16 PM

Default Allergic to deer???

Alright, I know it sounds stupid (although it makes sense because people are allergic to all sorts of animals), but I think I am allergic to deer. I do not know anyone else that is affected this way. Any time I gut a deer or skin out a deer, I am affected. The worst was probably the second time it happened. My arms broke out in all these huge bumps and one of my eyes swoll shut. Normally it is not that bad. Partly because I am aware of it and I wash my hands as soon as I am done handling a deer and I make sure not to rub my eyes or face. Usually my arms just break out in bumps and it goes away after several hours. Sometimes washing doesn't seem to make a difference. What gives? I don't tell people about it until they see it because it doesn't appear to be common. I think it is something in their coat. This past season a buddy of mine was with me when I weas gutting out my deer. He saw it firsthand. He knew about this site and said I should see if anyone else has this problem. It sucks because it makes helping people with their deer something I don't want to do unless I have the rest of the day to recover. The only other thing I can guess is an allergy to something they are in contact with in the wild. I know it sounds far-fetched, but I know of no other explanation.

1: Does anyone else have this problem?
2: What can be done about it? Medicine?
Old 12-13-2004, 07:19 PM

Default RE: Allergic to deer???

Most likely, it's a reaction to the dander in the hair. Try benedryl, it should help.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

Probably is the dander. Use a dusk mask, latex gloves and benadryl. I always use latex gloves to gut, just to avoid the mess.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:20 PM

hey, that happens to my mom,and my brother just starts sneezing, but that might be because hes allergic to cats.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

You are definantly having an allergic reaction. Talk to your doctor because allergic reactions can cause death. I am allergic to bee stings and get alot of the problems you are describing. It gets worse in each case. Your doc can give you a kit that can save your life if he thinks it is necessary. At least you will have the peice of mind of knowing after you talk with the doc.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take benadryl, wear a dust mask. wear latex gloves, wear a long sleeve shirt that you plan on ruining. I dont know if this works but try hosing the entire deer down with a water hose first.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

If your eyes are swelling then you are having a pretty good allergic reaction. It could get progressively worse as MOTOWNHONKEY wrote.
I'd play it safe and talk to an ENT doc about it.

I get the little bumps on my forearms when gutting deer, but not when skinning or processing the meat.

Now when I skin raccoons, I sneeze and wheeze and am generally miserable. (after a couple hundred raccoons, you'd think I learn.....)
Old 12-14-2004, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Friend of mine can field dress with gloves and generally handle a deer. But if he takes even a little bite, he has a severe reaction. Only person I know like this.

Steve
Old 12-14-2004, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm sure this is like any other dog/cat allergy. You should see a doctor they can probably give you something to clear things up when you have to handle a deer.

I carry benedryl, eye drops and latex gloves in my fanny pack. For the most part I only get minor symptoms, but some deer have made me rather itchy, while others don't affect me at all. The worst time was when i was at the zoo and they had a whitetail petting zoo.....wow, it was bad, both eyes swelled shut, and I broke out in hives pretty bad.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

I actually have the same reaction you have when I gut a deer.

My eyes start swelling and I break out in hives.

Now I always wear latex gloves and a long sleeve shirt when I gut one. I have learned over the years how to gut one without getting bloody so my shirt isn't ruined.

When I am finished, I take the gloves off and I wash my hands and face with soap and water. If I start to feel itchy I take a benadryl.

Quick Reply: Allergic to deer???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.