Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

PA seasons end

Old 12-13-2004, 07:40 AM

Default PA seasons end

Thank god this year is over with. The deer didnt move or there just werent any there to move around. Had a buck and a doe run from me while pushing and i missed of course. Couldnt get a good shot at 30 yards with my scope. Thats the 2nd time i missed because i didnt have open sights. Hopefully next year there are more deer. I dont like these AR's at the moment and when the Game commision says less deer....they mean less deer.

Tim
Old 12-13-2004, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA seasons end

The only day I didn't see deer was the last day...[]
Old 12-13-2004, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

we didnt do half as good as last year.....last year we killed 13 or 14 bucks..something like that...and a few does....giving us a total of around 20 deer......had groups running around all day.....we get together and do big drives...... this year we killed 4 or 5 bucks and a doe....we actually had more drivers this year too....a few guys tagged theirs in the mountains this year...and when they came home they drove every day......should been better for us.....but it wasnt.....im going to have to saw the numbers are down.....and the AR thing.....last year we killed much bigger bucks......down here we didnt kill one over 2.5yrs old.....and he may even been 1.5....hes on the line.....not huge.....but big if hes 1.5......just not any mass to his rack.....but maybe we did TOO good last season.....and if alot of us werent juniors last year thered be alot of legal bucks this year......so my area may not be a good way to evaluate.....
Old 12-13-2004, 09:41 AM

what a difference a year makes. i saw a lot of deer last year no matter where i went. this year it was a task just to jump a doe. i wish PA would go back to the 3 day doe season. i saw 3 deer the entire season. 3 bucks one of which i killed. 11 point, 6 point, and another big buck that ran through.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep I'm burned out
Old 12-13-2004, 06:59 PM

[:-]I agree three days of doe was enough I saw one small doe in two weeks my worst year ever. If there is any chance of the hunting getting any better the hunters will have to work together all over Pa. With a force this big the game comission will have to listen, alot of hunters in my area say we should not buy any deer tags next year (1 it would bring the deer population back up and the game comission would have to back up and see who holds the cards when there is no cash comming in) Just a thought I know I could give up hunting for one year if it would make it better for the future.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't advocate giving it up for a year, just hunt differently. Hunt hard as much as you like, just hold out for a nice buck and if you go without for a year, so be it. Guys that see there is a problem and then whack the only little doe they see in the area are only shooting themselves and others in the foot for the future. hunt, hunt , hunt some more, but be selective and consevation minded when it comes to pulling the trigger. Boycotting the doe tags would do nicely though.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:32 PM

Opening day me and my dad both snagged a doe before 8 am. Seen plenty of deer opening day but after that I was only able to catch glimpses of a few deer. Second saturday saw a total of 22 deer however they were all just glimpses through some pine trees(they were in a field a couple hundred yards away running). Second saturday, the last day, I only saw two doe and only for a second as my uncle had just shot at them and they didn't come my way. We were instructed by the landowner to kill off any cripled deer we seen that day so my uncle ended up getting two crippled doe. One of them had this nasty front leg infection..

We really just started to hunt this property and switched around positions each day out so we are still going over it looking for good spots to set up stands. I think I may have found a few nice spots for Muzzleloader season and next season.

The property is real nice though, the landowner killed a 10 point and there were also a few nice 8 pts taken.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:33 PM

I used to love waking up in bradford of mckean county, Pa. Get all my clothes on, eat breakfest with my whole family, load up the rifle and head into the woods. Shots would echo across the hills all day long. I could see 20-30 deer in a day easily! This year was a disapointment. I only saw two deer down there the whole year! I hunted erie county where I live and killed a doe though. I dont think the AR are doing much, its the two week doe season and excessive doe tags handed out thats killing the deer heard! Gotta have doe's to breed with bucks.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:44 AM

yeah a 3 day doe season is good. I think we should go back to that and see how the herd pops back up. I dont know if archery has anything to do with the less number of bucks. With the archery hunters really mostly only looking for trophiees and with the 4 point rule doesnt phase alot of them because thats all they want. But i dont know. I might be talkin about stuff i dont know. But im tired and really angry we have 13 inches of snow the week after deer is done with.

Tim

Quick Reply: PA seasons end

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.