Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Funny Story, but at least I got him! >

Funny Story, but at least I got him!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Funny Story, but at least I got him!

Old 12-11-2004, 01:36 PM

Default Funny Story, but at least I got him!

I have been pretty picky this year, passed on a few small bucks and a decent 7 pointer. Hadn't killed one till this morning. Well it's the last week of season and I am hunting a piece of property that I am not allowed to next year. Snow came this morning and man the deer were moving. I hunted a spot I hadn't seen deer at in days and saw 8. Anyhow, I passed on a pretty little six pointer at daylight and after I thought about not getting to hunt there next year, I told myself if he came back he was dead. Well he left and about 10 minutes later I saw two deer run across the hill above me. I put the scope on the back one and sure enough he had chased a doe right back after he left. Well I put it on his shoulder (or so I thought) and squeezed slow ( or so I thought), and watched him buck like he was hit good ( or so I thought) and then I watched him run into the woods. The doe he was chasin just stood there so I stayed put. Well, 10 minutes later I see him walkin in the trees 90 yards out. Well this time I turn my scope down to make me focus and squeeze real slow. He drops in his tracks and I watch him slide down the snow about 20 yards. Well I go get him and come to find out he's broken his whole fork off on one side when he fell (or so I thought). What a disappointment! Well I look him over to see if I hit him the first shot and one of his ears is ripped in half about 4 inches long. I put 2 and 2 together and realize what a dummy I am. My first shot hit him in the ear and blew off part of his rack. I wouldn't have had him mounted but He had a pretty little rack but I guess all I can do is laugh and be thankful I didn't injure him severly and have him run off. I sure hope some of you guys have had this happen and can make me feel better!
Old 12-12-2004, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Funny Story, but at least I got him!

Well sorry I can't make you feel better sinc I've never done this myself ,but i'm very glad to hear you got yourself a decent little buck and congrat's to you . I really enjoyed your story.

nubo
Old 12-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the buck! Thanks for sharing the story! I clipped the tips off two points of my 9 point last year. The taxidermist is almost done fixing them a year later! LOL! Congratulations again.....Jim
Old 12-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrates,things happen
Old 12-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice shooting, you were only a foot and a half off.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:10 PM

Good story(or so I thought).
Old 12-12-2004, 04:16 PM

thnks for sharing your story, like you said at least you didnt wound him, you got him. congrats
Old 12-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always said it's better to be lucky than good!! LOL, glad you got him!!