Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I Can't Believe THIS !!!!

Old 12-11-2004, 06:22 AM

Default I Can't Believe THIS !!!!

I feel horrible

I was hunting behind my house on the 4th day of PA rifle season. Well to make a long story short.. We have too many does around my area like 1 buck to every 14 doe! so me and my friends we gonna take 2 doe a piece. well I was in my tree stand and my bro was pushing for me, and this doe which i thought was alone came into my shooting lane. so i pulled up and fired. She dropped like a ton of bricks. Now heres why i feel bad. I accendently got a small 1 behind it. I mean a SMALL 1. and i feel horrible. From what i noticed from cleaning a butchering the large doe. My bullet went completely through and hit the small 1 in the heart.. has ne thing happened to ne of you guys before...
Old 12-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: I Can't Believe THIS !!!!

I mean a SMALL 1. and i feel horrible. From what i noticed from cleaning a butchering the large doe. My bullet went completely through and hit the small 1 in the heart.. has ne thing happened to ne of you guys before...
Sounds like a mom and her baby.

If thats the case at least the little one won't be left alone to starve.

So don't feel bad.

Good Luck on the Next time.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Did No t you see the small one at all?????????
Old 12-11-2004, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

You said you wanted two doe right?? You got two doe, nothin to feel bad about. Sometimes things don't always happen exactly the way we want them to, but take some solace in the fact you made two clean kills.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:42 PM

That real small one will taste real good. Also I bet it was real easy to drag her out, and real easy to hang her up. I will take a small 50 lb deer...also been smaller than that...because the meat is very tender and very good. Don't feel bad at all. I took two does last year that came up to a fence right next to each other. Looked like twins. I was about 40 yards away with a 7MM Ultra Mag and both dropped like a ton of bricks. At around 2 bucks a piece for my bullets I'm glad they both did.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea don,t let anyone give you any crap over it. You killed 2 deer with 1 bullet. Just be glad it wasn,t your " BRO " standing behind her!
Old 12-11-2004, 03:05 PM

Dont put much stock into that 14-1 ratio either.That is just about impossible.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:07 PM

the small ones taste even better
Old 12-11-2004, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unfortunately things sometimes happen that we can not control and in this case, you obvioulsy did not see the other deer. Consider a lesson learned BUT you must learn to be more careful in the future. In other states and/or areas you could have gotten into some serious trouble. For the record, it deos seem that a person hears about more "accidents" like this when folks are driving/"pushing" deer? [&:]

jrbsr,

"If thats the case at least the little one won't be left alone to starve. "...... NO WAY!!!! That is totally FALSE! There is NO way that the fawn would have starved, in fact it is scientifically proven that once weaned a young deer is more than capable of taking care of itself. The only thing that could happen is the fact that the deer may be easily taken by another hunter during this season because of his curiosity and the fact that they are naive without the maternal instincts of a mature Doe lookin' out for them. It certainly wouldn't have starved???
Old 12-12-2004, 12:28 PM

It might have starved; the unprotected little ones are the lowest on the pecking order when it comes to available food over the winter. Only one fawn? This would be consistent with overpopulation...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.