Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Cant believe this location, big bucks >

Cant believe this location, big bucks

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cant believe this location, big bucks

Old 12-20-2004, 09:27 AM

Default RE: Cant believe this location, big bucks

BigBuckOO-

You know what you're right about the antis...but the sport thing. Brother let me say it is not a sport to me its way more. We all wear the sportsmen label because it was forced on us but to take the life of an animal is not sport for me. Idon't know what to call it but it ain't the same as blocking a tackle or hitting a 3 pt shot. Perhaps the same endorphins flood my bloodstream when I am hunting or playing ball but that is the only shared characteristic.
And when I'm going out with my bow I'll say "I'm going hunting" but when I take a rifle I'll say "I'm going to kill a deer." I am not trying to be conceited but it is that simple where I am privledged to be allowed to hunt. It is a matter of patience and shot placement. Now what you kill is up to the first part patience, I'm taking for granted you are dressed for success and don't stink to high heavens, but how you take the animal is the second part SHOT PLACEMENT, and I'm taking for granted you know your weapon EVEN IF IT IS NEW and that you have practiced with it enough to know the limitations of it. The animals we hunt deserve at least this much repect.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

My question for all the self righteous on this forum is: IF you ever did wound an animal would you commit seppukku? How else will you recover your perfect honor? Grace and empathy are obviously rare traits.

Sorry to hear about your lost 12 pointer and I won't make all the obvious observations that others feel compelled to mention.

Happy Hunting.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Some of you people are starting to sound a lot like those PETA people. Wounding and missing deer is just as much a part of hunting as killing them. I'm a firm believer in taking only clear good shots. Not because the deer deserves my respect, or it is pain and suffering for the deer or any other crap like that. I want to take a good shot so I can stock my freezer or fill my wall. I don't want to track a deer for 2 miles. I want to watch him drop in place.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:49 PM

OK-
You all are right. No need to for me to press my thoughts on the matter. If wounding deer doesn't bother you that's fine by me. You are hunters as am I and that puts us on the same team. Not looking to be self righteous as I know many of you can outhunt me.

I am not to judge others and apologize if I came across in that way.

I prefer to have a full freezer as much as the next guy. Hope everyone has plenty of meat for the winter ahead and lots of memories to recall between the end of this season and the start of next. Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: muley69

The rule here in Montana is: if you shoot one, your season is over, recover it or not. I wouldn't "wound a huge buck" then go back out the next week, I would put my rifle away. Personally, if you have a scoped rifle, you should never wound any deer. If you sight your rifle in, practice even a little bit, you should have no problem with the shot. If you wound one, its because you took a marginal shot you shouldn't have, period. Yes, we have all wounded deer, myself included, but I can honestly say I have never wounded an animal with a rifle. I think the reason people get so pissed about wounded animals, ecspecially in the bow forum, is the sheer volume of "I wounded one" post, it does get disgusting after a while.

Who the heck made that rule up? Get off your highhorse Muley.
So you have wounded an animal by your own admission but never with a rifle. So that makes it okay. Sounds like you took a marginal shot with whatever weapon it was that you were using when you wounded it but to you that's okay because it wasn't with a rifle. Son, you don't even have a clue!
Old 12-21-2004, 01:47 PM

Roostem,

I agree 100%. I refuse to refer to hunting as a sport. It is called hunting and a living thing is killed if all goes well. I do not consider that a sport.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:53 PM

ORIGINAL: muley69

The rule here in Montana is: if you shoot one, your season is over, recover it or not. I wouldn't "wound a huge buck" then go back out the next week, I would put my rifle away. Personally, if you have a scoped rifle, you should never wound any deer. If you sight your rifle in, practice even a little bit, you should have no problem with the shot. If you wound one, its because you took a marginal shot you shouldn't have, period. Yes, we have all wounded deer, myself included, but I can honestly say I have never wounded an animal with a rifle. I think the reason people get so pissed about wounded animals, ecspecially in the bow forum, is the sheer volume of "I wounded one" post, it does get disgusting after a while.
is that a law or self -imposed?