HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   sighting in a scope (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/82005-sighting-scope.html)

Brian LMCO 12-10-2004 07:16 PM

RE: sighting in a scope

Tompkins...
The answer I think you were looking for...since I read your whole post is this.
If your bullet is hitting low. Adjust the scope in the direction to go up. If it is left adjust the scope in the direction that it says right. It is opposite of sighting a bow in. When you sight a bow in you follow your arrow. If it shoots low you move your sights lower and vice versa. Hope this helps.

Brian

Jack Ryan 12-10-2004 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: QTompkins2005

can i make one of these mounts out of wood or anything? If so can i get some directions?
Sorry, I can't resist.

That fifty would have bought a pretty darn good one.

Sand bags, a piece of 2x6, and a ratchet strap on a bench will work pretty darn well.

SteveBNy 12-11-2004 06:28 AM

I am with Slo-pitch - used to take me forever until I started using that method. Now 3 shots w/ my MZ and I am close. Then I shoot several shots for groups making adjustments for loads. Once happy with groups, I fine tune to be about 3" high at 100yds.

Steve

OHBowhunter 12-11-2004 08:01 AM

PLEASE DONT TAKE OFFENSE BUT IF YOU KNOW THAT LITTLE ABOUT SCOPES I SUGGEST YOU TAKE A HUNTER SAFETY COURSE
What a foolish thing to say. The kid was asking for advice, not someone to be a smart a$$.

BROWNING.308 12-11-2004 08:49 AM

just use the dials on ur scope if the hole is 2 inches low turn it 9 clicks in in the up direction same thing for left or right hope ya get er sighted in and get the big one

Brian LMCO 12-11-2004 12:44 PM

1 click in the direction you want the bullet hole to go for every 1/4" @ 100 yards

Strut&Rut 12-11-2004 04:35 PM

A few things:

1) Contact your manufacturer and see what they recommend shooting through your gun/barrel. The manufacturer tries ALL the major ammunitions, and usually have a good idea of where to start for Brands/loads.

2) Sight in at 25 yards. You want to be dead on horizontally, and ~2-3 inches high. Of course, this will vary on your gun, load, and scope---but in general, you will see about 1.5 inch drop/25 yard interval. That puts your gun dead-nuts at 75 yards, and ~2 inches low at 100. Once you are hitting good groups at 25 yards, check your groups at 50 yards and further. However, many "experts" recommend to not adjust your scope when the slug is travelling less than 1500fps with a 12 gauge, and less than 1000fps with a 20 gauge. With most slugs, therefore, you shouldn't adjust your scope past 50 yards.

NOTE: Notice I said "adjust your scope"---by all means definitely target shoot past that distance and determine how your gun groups, if you plan on taking 50+ yard shots.

3) Let your barrel cool between each shot, or shoot two shots in quick succession. Slug barrels can do finicky things with slugs when they are "hot".

4) As previously suggested, you may have to clean your barrel after every 2-3 shots. I think between every shot is a little extreme, but depending on the load you may get some excess fouling which affects the grooves.

5) As also previously mentioned, a steady rest is best when doing the initial sighting-in.

6) Perform a google search...there are hundreds of well-written articles on the internet about properly (and improperly) sighting in a scope, on all types of firearms.

Good luck...

S&R

Russ otten 12-11-2004 07:06 PM

Q,
I agree with you about the hunter safety course is mainly to instruct about safety, and not much about firearm details except safe handling. An instructor has a lot of teaching in the basics and usually has a full class. Unless he has a lot of time, it is hard to touch on everything. I have thought many times there should be a course on marksmanship, gun technicallity, etc.
Start looking for some books on marksmanship, shooting and the mechanics of the firearm. There are dozens available, some good, others excellent. spend some time reading. One thing for sure, it won't hurt.
Keep an open mind when reading, there are as many opinions out there as there are writers. (I bet now I have you completely confused). I'm 71, been shooting since 1947 (Boy Scout camp, Asst. Rifle Range Director). I'm still learning.

Russ

onebullet 12-14-2004 10:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Jack Ryan

ORIGINAL: QTompkins2005

can i make one of these mounts out of wood or anything? If so can i get some directions?
Sorry, I can't resist.

That fifty would have bought a pretty darn good one.

Sand bags, a piece of 2x6, and a ratchet strap on a bench will work pretty darn well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
yep- sand bags or packing blankets anything to rest the gun on so ya doesnt wobble around,:):D;)
aim for the center of the target- steady-breath in and let it out completely-steady- squeeze the trigger slowly -the fire should catch you by suprise- take note of where your bullet hit- was it to the left or right of where you aimed? is it high or low from where you aimed?- adjust only up and down or left to right one at a time(doesnt matter which) on the second shot -after you aimed exactally at the same spot you did the first time and note where that bullet went--did your adjustment have any effect on where it hit compared to the first shot?- if it did how much closer are you?--adjust until you are on a centerline be it either up-down or left-right ---- (example +.) in this example the gun is shooting low and to the right- you would turn the scope up and to the left- most scopes are labeled as to direction of adjustment-- ALWAYS AIM AT THE SAME SPOT AS THE FIRST SHOT very important--- i sighted in my sons 7mm wsm and my 270 using this method used 5 bullets each to make center-good luck and good huntin-----------hope this helps-;)----------------------onebullet[8D]

burniegoeasily 12-15-2004 10:24 AM

Slo-Pitch does my methoid. ;)