HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   sighting in a scope (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/82005-sighting-scope.html)

UncleNorby 12-15-2004 02:52 PM

RE: sighting in a scope

Are you able to shoot groups? If not, tear it down, and start from scratch. Make double sure all mounts and screws are solid. Some guys use lock-tite.

Then, assuming your scope is not broken, you should be able to shoot a reasonable group with just about any sabot, but some are sure to be better than others. Try something middle of the road velocity-wise like the Winchester 1 oz sabot in 2 3/4" or 3" that are rated at 1350 and 1400 fps.

Shoot from a solid rest at no more than 50 yds. Once you are hitting the target, shoot 3 shots before you adjust the scope. You are only looking at your group not how close you are to hitting what you're aiming at. If the slugs are grouping well enough for you, then fine-tune your scope adjustment.

I've seen guys drive themselves crazy by trying to sight in when the slugs they were using were not grouping in the first place. They would shoot one shot, adjust, and shoot again. Problem was the slugs were not consistent, so it made it look like the scope was broken.

You may need to try a few brands until you get the accuracy you want.

solocamshooter1 12-15-2004 03:03 PM

Q,

One thing worth mentioning... swab your barrell out after each shot. I usually take one patch with Number 13 bore cleaner and then 2 dry patches. As not cleaning the barrell can cause your shot to be off. Just a thought!

onebullet 12-15-2004 03:49 PM

good advice uncle norby,

woody7 12-15-2004 06:07 PM

Strut and rut makes a valid point you may be overlooking. Let the gun cool down. Shoot the first round and check the target. Wait at least 2-3 minutes and try again. After 2 shots, you may have to wait 10-15 minutes or more to get the barrel to cool down again. Some guns like my old 30-06 are very sensitive to barrel heating. The first shot would be ok, then after 4 rounds under 5 minutes it would wander all over the target six to eight inches sometimes. If I let it cool down it would be ok. Try this before buying a vice.

QTompkins2005 12-15-2004 07:37 PM

wow wasn't expecting this post to be so popular, thanks for all the help though guys. But sorry to say that i took a shot in the face from my scope and got mad so in the end i just decided to take the scope of my shotgun and put it on my .22, i now have my open sights sighted in at 100 yards, much of your advice still helped though so thanks.

stubblejumper 12-15-2004 10:08 PM

Some guns like my old 30-06 are very sensitive to barrel heating. The first shot would be ok, then after 4 rounds under 5 minutes it would wander all over the target six to eight inches sometimes.
This indicates either a bedding problem or a barrel with residual stresses present.

woody7 12-16-2004 05:09 PM

Stubble jumper, I thought at first that it was a loose forearm or bedding problem, checked out ok, barrel is fine, got a trigger job too. gun just shoots like the cheap rifle it is. Problem solved, new heavy barreled 7 mag with a zeiss scope. shoots great.

stubblejumper 12-16-2004 10:46 PM

barrel is fine
How do you know that no stresses are present in the barrel?Stresses may be present that can't be seen but they can greatly effect accuracy as the barrel heats up.

HyVelositee 12-20-2004 09:27 AM

RE: sighting in a scope- Cheers Guys!

I recently aquired a new scope for my rifle and mounted it up. I knew the basics of sighting in, but thought I might search the net a bit in hope of finding some tips and tricks. After trolling several sites I came upon this thread. I learnt more here than I did from the other sites combined. Well done lads, you've helped me out quite a bit. Here we use the metric system, so I did a few calculations and worked out all of the metric equivalents, based on the info you blokes provided. (they are all approximate). I worked out i could expext ~40mm drop for every 25m. I will probably sight in for 50m, so @ 25m, it will hit ~38mm high. @ 100m, 1 adjustment click = 7mm crosshair movement. @ 50m 1 click = 3.5mm and so forth. This probably means nothing to you, and if it doesn't, it's the same for me looking at the imperial measurements. Anyway, well done guys, (sorry to dig up an old thread) and Happy Hunting from Oz! :D

Montana Bob 12-20-2004 01:07 PM

OK
I am going to be MR Obvious here. Some of these posts are telling you to do this and do that. I could go through it step by step here in this forum....... But I won't
What you need is to find an experianced friend or go the the range and find someone who knows what they are doing to help you out.
This way they can get a look at your rig and point out the steps required so that you can remember in the future.
I have never drove a big rig truck and for my safety and the public's would not want to learn from a bunch of random posts on the internet.
Good Luck;)