Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Mossberg, Winchester, Remington? Best Deer Shotgun? >

Mossberg, Winchester, Remington? Best Deer Shotgun?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mossberg, Winchester, Remington? Best Deer Shotgun?

Old 12-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Mossberg, Winchester, Remington? Best Deer Shotgun?

I had been using an Ithaca Model 37 until I got my lefty Remington 870 Express Magnum. I used a rifled choke on it and Winchester Gold Partition Sabot Slugs and took it out for its maiden voyage on Saturday. It kills deer good. Dropped a big doe at 20 yards in her tracks.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

REMINGTON 870 12GA!!!!!!!! [8D]

1) Everyone's got one.
2) Best bang for the buck.
3) Can drop it in the duck marsh, pick it up, clean it off and keep on going.
4) Go anywhere, shoot anything.
5) ...
6) ...
7) need I continue?

Butch A.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

870 remington!!!! I dont touch mossberg, winchester, ithica makes a good gun, so does benneli. But the good ol rem is the way to go
Old 12-09-2004, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

I have a winchester 1300. Its got a rifled barrel and supports 3in mags. I shoo breneke 3in magnum slugs. the slug is pointed and rifled. I have it sighted in at 100 yards withno probs at all!!! The remingtong is a nice piece, but the winchester is cheaper and shoots just as good if not better. I have a bushnell banner scope on it 1.5x4 and i love hte combo! It works great. I have shot over 12 deer with this gun!!!!!!!

My rifle on the other hand is a Browning BAR .308
Old 12-09-2004, 07:11 PM

I'm partial to my 25yr old "master-mag" 660. To those who never heard of it Coast to Coast store brand made by Mossberg. Equal to 500, shoots 3" mag. Slug barrel, Red dot sight, can tear it down and clean it during lunch break. The Moss hunters in my group don't seem to have the trouble the Rem or Win auto loaders have with cold temps. But the Nellie's shot the most deer this year. Hopefully my next gun will be a Benelli.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll chime in here -

I shoot a Mossberg 500 deer slayer combo with a Tasco variable 1-4.5 scope and shoot Remington Premier Core Loct Sabots.
This is as close to a sniper gun as a shotgun will ever get! I'm accurate to 1 inch at 200 yards and this weapon is deadly beyond that.
I wouldn't trade this gun for any other!

I shot a doe just last Saturday - 150 yard shot right through the center of the heart - dropped her in 30 feet.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

I don't use my shotguns for hunting big game. However, I own several and my 870 is by far my most favourite and reliable (as many others have stated). Go with the 870.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:34 PM

My current slug gun is a winchester 1300 with a smoothbore slug barrel, I don't like it that much. It shoots alright and have taken alot of deer, problem is past 50 yards the accuracy sucks. I own several 870s too and they are by far the best pumps I have had. After this year I plan to get a cantilever rifled barrel and slap it on one of my 870s and just throw the winchester in the safe and just use it for backup which probably will be never.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:51 PM

I happen to own a winchester 1300 slug gun, a Ithica deer slayer, a mossberg trophy slugster 500, and a rem 1187 slug gun. My favorite used to be the mossberg until my wife shot her first deer with it, now guess who's favorite it is. The Ithica I have is a smooth bore not as accurate as the rifled barrel versions. the winchester is alright but alittle heavy for my taste. My weapon of choice is the 1187 with cantileaver scope mount. very accurate out to 115 yards fairly light recoil and quick follow up shots. truly the best one is the one you chose and get familar with. they all will do the job in the right hands. practice, practice and practice
Old 12-14-2004, 04:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

what one do you have ? i shoot the pintail with a nikon 3-7, i can clover leaf 3 at 100, and put em in a pie plate at 150 all day. 2-3/4 inch buck hammers
I have an A302. Smoothbore deer barrel.It shoots Rottweilers just great.Can't wait to get one of those NY Cougars with it.[8D]

Quick Reply: Mossberg, Winchester, Remington? Best Deer Shotgun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.