Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First Deer

Old 01-07-2002, 01:31 PM

Default First Deer

I invited a friend of mine and his son to come over to my place to hunt the last weekend of the VA deer season. He's been hunting w/his son all season and hasn't even had a decent shot yet. So, I put him and his son in a tree that I knew they would at least get to see a couple of does. I was in another tree about 800yds away and just about a half hour before dark I heard several shots. I climbed down from my stand at dark and walked over to where they were hunting and both of them were standing over a couple of doe's. The father was so excited that he could hardly speak, both of them shot a doe each. This was only his second deer ever and it was his 12yr old son's first deer. The pride eminating from this father for his son made me realize how fortunate this kid was to have a parent that cared that much for him. I thought he was gonna start tearin up.

After we hauled the deer back to my barn and finished field dressing both does, I found the slug from his son's deer. I told him he has just had the perfect hunt. He witnessed his son's first deer kill, they both got a deer at the same time and he even got the bullet from his kids deer.

I told him that the only thing that could have made that weekend any better was two tickets to the last Redskins game of the season, which they had.

It's nice to see that there are parents out there that will devote so much time and energy with thier kids, and realize it's not about harvesting something everytime you go hunting but the quality time you spend with your kids.
Old 01-07-2002, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Deer

I remember when my youngest son got his first buck ,I think everyone within 5 miles knew it to . great post smokpole
Old 01-07-2002, 05:11 PM

Way to go smokpole. You did good.
Old 01-07-2002, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cool story ,thanks for making there day
Old 01-07-2002, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Smokepole, I know how that father felt. It's been 4 years since my son got his first deer, a nice fat forkhorn. I felt so proud of him. He even had to show me up and did it with a neck shot at 30 yds. with his brand new Marlin 30-30 that we bought him that year. It sure felt good to see his smile when I got over there.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:56 PM

smokpole, it's a great thing that you're doing by sharing your place like that. Congrats to all, including you. Nice story, thanks for sharing it.
Old 01-07-2002, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

You have just started a new hunter on his way and in the process helped to preserve hunting for all.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:02 PM

congrats to your friend and his son. you made both of them have a great hunt and memories for life.
you done did good.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 01-08-2002, 05:50 AM

You have started a good thing with that kid!! He will always remember the first. I can't wait till I can take my 3 yr old son out.

Dan Blair
Old 01-08-2002, 06:31 AM

Thanks for the kind words.

I've always got a kick out of watching new hunters get thier first deer. Especially when it's a father son combo. Makes me remember when I got my first deer out huntin with my dad. I thought he was going to take out a front page ad in the local newspaper just so everyone else would hear about it.

Quick Reply: First Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.