Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 My Daughter's First Buck (pics) >

My Daughter's First Buck (pics)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My Daughter's First Buck (pics)

Old 12-06-2004, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default My Daughter's First Buck (pics)

I looked forward to the Montana Hunting season because it would be the first time one of my kids was old enough to pack a gun and have a chance to shoot. All of them have been with me many times hunting but this was the first season I could help them kill game. One nice thing about Montana is that the state gives the first year hunters, who pass hunters safety, their licenses and deer tag free of charge to encourage kids to get out and hunt.

Here is the Huntress eating breakfast while trying to find a deer. This is after hiking a few miles into the breaks
Doesn't she look thrilled.

We hunted hard but never did find a buck for her. The next time out we decided that maybe we needed more help with the spotting duties.

Hey little man! Are you having fun spotting deer for your sister?

He kept telling me, "Dad there are deer in the bottom of that coulee". I keep glassing through the binos. and mumble, "UmmHmm, that's nice." Thinking there were not any deer and he was just seeing things. Daughter says "dad there really are deer down in the bottom of that coulee". I guess you need young eyes and team work to find them.

The deer spotting crew.

No deer that day but great memories were made. Both of them were snoozing in the pickup when I stopped and took this pic.

All too soon the last day of the season was upon us and still no critter for the huntress. So we decided to head to some more remote parts of Eastern Montana and try to find a buck. As stated before we finally find a buck feeding on a hillside about 600 yards away. We work around about 8 does that are between us and end up on a ridge opposit of the buck. I take out my lazer range finder and range him at 281 yards. The huntress puts down the bipod and gets a steady rest and asks me to range him again. Still says 281 yards. She settles in, the buck is perfectly broadside and she squeezes off a shot. End of hunting season.

Success and a happy huntress!!! An even Happier Dad!!!

Now the works Starts but it hardly seems like work.

The most rewarding hunting I have ever had the privilege of being a part of.

Nemont
Old 12-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: My Daughter's First Buck (pics)

Great buck, congrats!
Old 12-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

Great story & pics. The deer was just an extra bonus for you congrats.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:14 AM

super deal
Old 12-06-2004, 10:21 AM

CONGRATS, ON A NICE BUCK, EXCELLENT PICTURES, ITS GREAT YOU CAN SHARE THE OUTDOORS WITH THE ONES YOU LOVE!!!
Old 12-06-2004, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

Awesome!
Old 12-06-2004, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great pictures and Congrats to both of you!!!! Pretty work!!
Old 12-06-2004, 11:31 AM

awesome, I can't wait until that day when my baby girl (5 yo) will be able to take her first buck! What an awesome feeling that must be!

The body on that buck is huge, what did it weigh?
Old 12-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's great!! Great story and awesome pics!! Congrats to you all.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

281 yards ???? Wow. I'm used to Wisconsin woods shooting where 100 yards is a super long shot. Your girl must have been pretty proficient with that rifle !!! Congrats !!!

BTW, How big is that deer, weightwise ???

Quick Reply: My Daughter's First Buck (pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.