Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Ya ever forget to load your muzzleloader??? >

Ya ever forget to load your muzzleloader???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ya ever forget to load your muzzleloader???

Old 12-05-2004, 11:37 AM

Default Ya ever forget to load your muzzleloader???

There was no doubt in my mind it was loaded, I even remember the little round ring in the palm of my hand .But.. I busted a cap in a buck this morning, and watched him flag me as he cleared the area.I popped a few more caps, thinking the powder might be a little damp.Took the nipple out to check it, and noticed light coming down the barrel.

UHMMM << lets see now,,Yeah, now I remember, I test fired it after I loaded it, a couple days before, cleaned it and ,,, now it all comes back to me. Lucky deer, good thing it is early in the season, sure hate for that to have been my last chance of the year.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ya ever forget to load your muzzleloader???

I have never done that . Forgot to prime a flint , didn't put on a cap and got out to the woods without my bag with powder , primers ect
Old 12-05-2004, 12:03 PM

i don't have a muzzleloader.gut i forgot to load my rife this year but i notice it before i saw a deer
Old 12-05-2004, 02:59 PM

Never forgot to load, but last year I got into my treestand and went to take off my fannypack with my preloads, primers, and slugs and realized that it was still in my truck. That kind of shed a whole new light on the 'one shot, one kill' idea of hunting for the day!
Old 12-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

No,but took the wrong gun once. I was using my muzzy and then the rifle season came in and I took the muzzy instead of the slugger
Old 12-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I forgot to put the powder in once. Rammed the slug home then realized what I had done. I took the nipple out, poured some powder in the hole, put nipple and cap back on, took me three tries but I finally shot it out.

Ron
Old 12-05-2004, 03:28 PM

my good cousin bob (he's not a hunter)decided he wanted a crash course in blackpowder hunting and to tag along with me on a couple hunts.I lent him a 45 cal.cva long rifle and we spent a day learning him how to load and shoot.He was a natural ,he was picking cans of fence post at 70 yards before the day was over,then we passed the rest of the day cleaning and fixing loads for the next days hunt.He showed up early that morning choppen at the bitts and we made it to our spot.I gave him 6 speed loads a bullet starter and a capper and he left with a grin .About lunch time i finally got my doe back to the truck and up the trail comes bob.He gets to the truck and lays the rifle in the bed of the truck next to mine. I was telling him about the kill ,then we got ready to leave for some dinner and to put the doe on ice.When we get home he hands me the loads,capper,and bullet starter back. I noticed that all the quickloads are still full,i looked at him kinda funny and asked him how he loaded the rifle ,he looked at me with stupidest look and said i thought you loaded it.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:28 PM

I was wondering if that would work. I did the same thing when I thought the powder was damp. It was the third time when I noticed light coming down the bore.
ORIGINAL: rbduck

I forgot to put the powder in once. Rammed the slug home then realized what I had done. I took the nipple out, poured some powder in the hole, put nipple and cap back on, took me three tries but I finally shot it out.

Ron
Old 12-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Once forgot to take the trigger lock off.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:19 PM

My dad has forgot to put powder in once. He just put powder down the nipple whole and was able to get the ball out. This year his powder got so damp that caps woudlnt set it off, so he put some in the nipple hole and it fired just like a rifle, no hang time at all. He was thinking about trying it until he realized how much it fouled the nipple whole.

Quick Reply: Ya ever forget to load your muzzleloader???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.