Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Raise the hunting age?

Old 12-03-2004, 05:18 PM

Default RE: Raise the hunting age?

not a good idea about setting age limits on hunters especially because of acciddents. I've been hunting for 40 years and seen alot of good young hunters somebad middle aged and older hunters. I hunt with my 18 year old daughter all the way to my 66 year old uncle so I'm not leaning one way or the other, but restricting the age, what about the mid 60 year old I heard about on the news who shot his son at about 70 steps because he thout he was a deer. Killed him. I think it was in Penn. So if you limit the begining age they'll want to limit the ending age. Like they are saying its the teaching that matters. As for maturity I can be acused of not being very mature about somethings sometimes myself
Old 12-03-2004, 06:21 PM

ORIGINAL: uwpce

With the recent events in Wisconsin, and hearing about some of the other accidents around the states, wouldn't it be in everyones best interest if only more "mature" adults were allowed to hunt? ...
I know you're just posing a thought but this is exactly the sort of attitude that is so wrong headed - when society looks at an incident and then makes rules to improve safety that are totally unrelated to the incident. Neither the Vang incident nor any accidents I've heard of recently have anything to do with the age of the hunter. If you could show me that young hunters actually cause problems, I'd say lets look at it - either better training, supervision or change the age.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe that hunting and growing up with firearms instills in a young person character that goes deep into his soul.

Show me a 19 year old who was raised at an early age to hunt, shoot, and respect his sport, and I'll show you a responsible citizen.

Show me a 19 year old hip-hopper kid in the hood who is first introduced to firearms when his gang leader hands him a glock, and I'll show you someone who respects nothing including himself.

C. Davis
Old 12-03-2004, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

All this comming from a 32 year old that has been hunting since the tender age of 12, who now is looking forward to his own son hunting with the old man.
When you have a son of your own I'll bet you'll change your tune. I wish they would lower it like alot of other states. I think it would be beneficial to hunting and would bring more hunters to the woods if we could make an impact in a childs life and turn them on to hunting before they hit puberty.