Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How is bow season different from gun season? >

How is bow season different from gun season?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How is bow season different from gun season?

Old 11-27-2004, 08:05 AM
Spike

Default How is bow season different from gun season?

This is my first season ever hunting anything and I am teaching myself due to no family or close friends that hunt. I have hunted deer now since Oct 20th and have 1 buck to my name and many other within range but busted before I got the shot off.

Anyway, all this was obviously bow hunting. How different is it being in the woods during gun season? I have a Mossberg 500 that I will be hunting with here in Ohio. In all my bow hunting I have only ran into 2 other hunters so I'm not sure what to expect.

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2004, 08:13 AM

Default RE: How is bow season different from gun season?

Well, during gun season the deer will be spooked pretty bad, all the hunters will be pushing them all over the place. Sometimes during gun season thats the only time you will see deer, when some one spooks them too you.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:17 AM

Expect a ton of people in the woods. Bow season is safer too.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:04 AM

While bowhunting, you're hunting relatively undisturbed deer following normal patterns of movement. While hunting with firearms, you're typically hunting heavily pressured animals, many large bucks become largely if not completely nocturnal at this time...and only the rut or close contact will prompt their diurnal movement.

Naturally, bowhunting also requires greater attention to scent reduction due to the closeness of range demanded for ethical shots, as well as much more time in the stand/woods per shot ooportunity.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

gun season around here is a war. Deer running with their tongues hanging out and people unloadind on them Like maniiacs.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Down here in Virginia, bow season is peaceful and the deer are relatively calm, unless someone accidently bumps one from feeding or bedding. Gun season? forget it.... I kind of agree with what Cardeer said. Gun season on the WMA's in Virginia? People run dogs on public lands and spook everything for miles and miles. There's also 9,432,586 hunters to contend with too..... [:-][&o]

Check my hunting log that I started making at the beginning of bow season. You see a pattern in my comments and dates/times I hunted. Bow season was nice, peaceful, and calm. Someone bumped a giant 8 pointer to me and I missed from 20 yards! I'm still kicking myself in the a$$ over that one! [:'(] Gun season now has been a bit nutty because deer are so spooked and chased by hound dogs, they are going like Mach IV through the woods. It would be like trying to skeet shoot a deer!

http://members.aol.com/ammonc/Hunting-log.html

Butch A.