Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wounded deer...

Old 11-26-2004, 10:00 AM

Default Wounded deer...

I had taken a break from deer hunting and went squirrel hunting today. I was up on the ridge and just came across a button buck. I swear he couldn't of been more then a yearling, he had just the bare minimum of a button buck. Anyhow, I started walking towards him.....For some reason he didn't run. At 10 feet away he stood there eating leaves milling around. He turned....Gunshot wound to his lower jaw below his eye I believe. God I don't know what to do. It being thanksgiving I don't have much time. I have one more buck tag, I guess to shoot him? He wouldn't run. I don't know if hes going to die or if I should go ahead and put him down. He seemed to stay around eating but wouldn't run? God this is rediculous....well? go ahead and take him?
Old 11-26-2004, 10:18 AM

Default RE: Wounded deer...

the last thing a hunter wants to see is a deer with a wound especially to the head.The right thing i would think would be to put it down.Last season and the last day of deer season i had one more doe i could take when out of the brush jumped a small deer that was very sick looking ,i thought something is bad wrong with this deer ,i watched it for a little bit and it kept coughing and slinging it head .I finally shot it and when i walked up to it i was horrified at what i saw,someone had shot it in the face below the eyes and you could see the whole inside of it mouth and down in it's throat it had gangrene decay and was skinny as a fence.I took a picture and then built a big fire and burned it up. I have a picture i can post of the deer but i ask you first if you want to see what a 22 rimfire does when a ahole shoots a deer in the face.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:47 AM

Aight, I could have been wrong in my first post. See if you've seen/heard of anything like this. I went back up in the woods to see how he was doing....I got fairly close and got a much better look. Honestly, I'm think I was wrong and in fact this could be a disease? On his back left leg there is this large black like ball of skin? it sure doesn't look heathly, and also is the same under his eye. I'm pretty confident this isn't a gunshot wound. Have ya'll heard of this though? It looks like just a large ball of black skin. Two on this deer? He took off like a rocket when I took a step forward
Lemme edit this.

Would you still reccomment taking this and burning it? I'm gonna try and call a DNR officer around here and ask about it. Like I said I'm pretty confident this ISN'T a gunshot wound. For the fact theres two of these large black balls of skin one on the leg and one below the eye I'm leaning towards some sickness....
Old 11-26-2004, 10:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Contact a state game official.Best wat to go with this problem.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:51 AM

Aight I'm gonna call an Officer. I dunno if I'll be able to find this deer again as he ran off pretty quick, but I'm definately interested to find out what this is
Old 11-26-2004, 01:46 PM

sounds like warts,nothing to worry about.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:46 PM

couldn't get through today. Gonna try tomorrow.
But warts? are you sure, these were pretty massive? and judging from its behavior of letting me get not 5-10 feet of it and it'd just sit there...I'd say something is wrong
Old 11-26-2004, 06:06 PM

it might be about blind,i have killed a few deer here in north ms. that had a coulpe about the size of a walnut and seen others that have been killed that had lots of them all over their body.One small forkhorn a guy killed had over a 100 all over its body he has going to let the dogs eat it,but another hunter took it home and cleaned it ,some of the warts were big as baseballs but they were only on the skin,and the game wardens at the checkout station said it was ok to eat.The deer you saw could also have a form of cancer tumors.Me i would leave it alone and let it be i would have a hard time eating it
Old 11-26-2004, 06:45 PM

Well aight, thats good to know. As far as I know it ran off. Around the last light of the evening I went back up there one last time and he was nowhere to be seen.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:56 PM

he should be fine. they just had a thing about it in D&DH. just like warts. they're only skin deep, and harmless to teh meat.

slayer

Quick Reply: Wounded deer...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.