Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

DNR

Old 11-25-2004, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: DNR

Simple answer YES
Old 11-25-2004, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: DNR

Sharpshot, your absolutely correct, I see my response was pretty vague on the vehicle search. Here they look visually - open box, windows/doors, but still must ask if they can inspect physically inside the vehicle or under a covered area. We were stopped the last time out, the officer asked us to get out of the vehicle, leave the rifles in it and to get out our licenses. He than asked us if it was ok if checked the rifles (to ensure unloaded) and this allowed him to look inside the truck as well. This is their common procedure, they have obtained your permission to look in a vehicle b/c part of the stop is to ensure the rifles are according to the law. However I or another hunter could refuse and then he/she would have to call for a warrant...not that I ever would but that is your right here.

BTW, this has been a recent change when DNR were taken to court over road checks and lost. It is crap but a little known fact that if you invite them they now have the right, if you refuse them anything they find is remissable in a court of law without a warrant (which is only given for just cause...supposedly!!).