Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Chokes and buckshot

Old 11-24-2004, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Chokes and buckshot

Opening day tomorrow, The beagles are ready to jump a big buck. Shooting a Benelli Nova 3 1/2 #1 buck what choke should I use? I imagine the full or improved cylinder or maybe modified?
Old 11-24-2004, 05:54 PM

Default RE: Chokes and buckshot

If you plan on going hunting tomorrow and don't have your gun ready you obviously don't care about the deer. Are you going to test shoot your gun?
Old 11-24-2004, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Opening day tomorrow, The beagles are ready to jump a big buck. Shooting a Benelli Nova 3 1/2 #1 buck what choke should I use? I imagine the full or improved cylinder or maybe modified?
I would go with Mod.

You do need to shoot and pattern the gun.

Good Luck
Old 11-24-2004, 06:28 PM

with mine i have the full length barrel and use the full choke tube with #1 shot. On a cardboard deer target at 45 yards it puts all the pellets into the deer ,and over half hit the vitals. At 60 yards i still get about ten pellets in the deer and 5 or 6 hit vitals.At 80 yards it will still hit the target and on some of the trys it put up to 15 pellets into the kill zone but to shoot a deer at more than 45 yards with buckshot is downrite bad judgement. With the mod choke it shoots well at about 30yards at 45 it goes down hill bad at 50 you would do a lot of leg and gut damage and probably loose the deer to the coyots and buzzards.But never ever take someone else trys ,you owe it to the game you hunt to do the best job and make a clean kill and with buckshot a clean kill is almost never the case. THE PART WHERE I TALK ABOUT A 80 YARD SHOT WAS JUST TO SEE WHAT THE GUN AND LOAD WOULD DO ,IT SHOWED ME HOW DEADLY BUCKSHOT IS AND HOW IT COULD BE A FATAL THING IF A STRAY SHOT WAS TO FLY CRAZY AS BUCKSHOT IS KNOWN TO DO .SO USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN HUNTING WITH BUCKSHOT OR ANY FIREARM OF ANY CAL.