Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Got my buck

Old 11-23-2004, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Got my buck

Sunday morning started off cold and wet. I got my raingear on and headed out to my spot. I had a good feeling when I got up that morning. You know, when you get one of those feelings that tells ya todays the day your gonna get a deer? Well I slipped in and got comfortable before daylight which was set back due to the overcast conditions. I was watching a hillside where a pond drains down into a small runoff. There are several large Oaks and a couple of big pecan trees along this stretch of hill and for the most part it's pretty open. Well as the morning passed on, there hadn't been much activity. At around 9:00 I heard a comotion back on the other side of the pond in a thicket. A few minutes later, a doe comes out of the thicket and starts to trot down the hillside. About half way down the hill she stops and looks back. At this point I know what's about to happen, so I get ready. Sure enough, he steps out of the thicket and starts after her. At about 50 yards out I grunt, and he stops. One shot from my 30-06, a little high in the shoulder sent him down like a ton of bricks. I was as excited as if it were my first buck! He's not the biggest boy in the woods, but without much time to rifle hunt this year, I couldn't pass him up. I've taken bigger, but I'm just as proud of him as I am of any I've taken. He's got his G2 busted off on the right side and although you can't tell from the pic he's got some cool looking palmation on his left side. I took several pics but the disposable camera[:'(] that I had was several months old and this is the only pic that turned out[:@]. Anyway, I haven't scored him yet, (I'll score him when I get him back from the processor) so I can't add him to my team score till then.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Got my buck

Nice one. Good job.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

He looks good to me.

Congratulations.

jrbsr
Old 11-23-2004, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

nice un...
Old 11-23-2004, 03:28 PM

Nice buck...

congrats to you...

... I have Shane's doe from two weeks ago marinating as I type!
Old 11-23-2004, 04:20 PM

Good for you... Congrats on the 8 point! Good eating...
Old 11-23-2004, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice deer!!