Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tagging your harvest

Old 11-24-2004, 08:45 AM

Default RE: Tagging your harvest

thats rather stupid to NOT do imo
Old 11-24-2004, 08:53 AM

I tag all the deer i shoot but i think it is a stupid rule that you have to tag it once you kill it. The tag rips off when you start dragging it and it gets all bloody when you gut it so i just wait till im done gutting it and put the temporary tag on it when i get ready to check it in.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

PA game commission is pretty hard on you if you don't tag an animal after the kill (deer, turkey and bear). It only takes a small bunch to make it look bad for the ones that do it by the book. I'd continue to do what the law requires you to do. They'll get caught on day and pay a nice fine to remind them the next time.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it's a stupid rule (law) to tag your deer immediately. I have never had the tag fall off when dragging a deer out of the woods. I simply use a large safety pin that holds the tag and pin it thru the ear of the deer. Who's to say that anyone is gonna tag their deer on the way to the station? If you must tag immediately, there is no doubt the deer is now legal. Dragging a deer out of the NH deer woods without a tag may be interpreted as poaching. Tag it right away and there is never a question or doubt.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

Must tag immediatley here in Ontario. We have some old timers that curse about how much they fork out (I curse as well on that one) but you better tag it at the kill site or these same old timers will kick you out of our camp pretty quick.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:12 PM

As it was said,, in Missouri we have to tag our animals immediately,,, but it is so sickening to me that i hear of at least as many or maybe even more deer and turkeys that arent ever tagged,, it makes me sick to work hard and take it seriously and try to manage the animals around my farm,, and then so many just kil and kill,,, never tagging anything except maybe the last day,, and only then so get the legband given by sheckstations that they have to have with the meat. It is very bad around my area and the game wardens dont seem to know or care about it,, it is so obvious but nothing ever gets done about it.[:@]