Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

5 Wisconsin hunters killed

Old 11-23-2004, 09:44 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 5 Wisconsin hunters killed

Just as an aside.... while the SKS may not be a 'common' weapon for deer hunting... it's not exactly rare either. It is ballistically about the same as a 30-30. A good little closer range deer rifle. Reliable and cheap too.

I took my first gun deer with an SKS.

This tragedy has very little to do with hunting and nothing to do with 'assault weapons' either.
I've heard he had a empty 20-round clip when he was arrested. Don't know the Wisconsin laws, but I have a friend from there and he said that large of a clip is illegal. I hope this guy gets his and more, there should be no mercy for him, and I pray that the families find some way to make it through this. If anybody comes up with a joint effort we can do for the families, let me know, I'm definately in.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:11 AM

Just shows how terrible some people can be, I would also definitely be interested in helping out the families in any way
Old 11-23-2004, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw it here first but it is in my paper today in Hampton VA. It sounds like the guy was in the tree with an assalt rifle, if I am reading right. When he was asked to leave he opened fire until his 20 mag clip was empty. i sounds like they are having problems with to groups of communities and posted land. It is a big tragedy.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

Earlier in the post, minnhunter posted the info on where to send donations for the families and I've reposted it below. From what I read, the shooter may have been hunting with a group earlier in the day on some county public land that adjoined this private tract. He may have gotten lost and wandered onto the private land which was very well posted (No excuse) and then got up in one of their tree stands. Apparently, one member of the party was driving an ATV by the stand and saw the guy in there. He radioed the group back at hunting camp and found that he wasn't supposed to be there. He asked him to leave while the others were on there way over. Suspect left stand, walked about 40 yards while fiddling with his rifle. Turned out he was taking scope off rifle and then turns to fire on initial group. One of the men shot radioed for help and the suspect opened fire on those who had just arrived via ATV. He then chases down those people and shoots them as well. Luckily, one of the injured wrote down his ID number off his back that is a requirement in WI when hunting deer. He gets picked up later by a DNR officer who sees the number. I was reading in the local liberal paper how the Hmongs are fearful and worried about how they are perceived. The paper puts that twist on it where they question what the group may have said to him, etc. There is no excuse for what he did plain and simple. He was trespassing on their land and they had a right to say whatever they wanted. These liberal news rags really tick me off...

Rice Lake Hunters Survivors and Victims Funds
Dairy State Bank
16 S. Main Street
Rice Lake, Wisconsin 54868

You can verify this at http://www.dairystatebank.com/
Old 11-23-2004, 12:19 PM

Here's an excerpt from Today's Star Tribune on the shooter telling his story to the authorities:

"Chai Vang, the man accused of killing six Wisconsin hunters and wounding two others, has told investigators how he calmly did the killing in the woods of Sawyer County on Sunday ...

According to the documents, this is what Vang told investigators:

He was lost in the woods and climbed into an unoccupied deer stand. After about 15 minutes, another hunter came upon the scene, told Vang he was on private property and told him to leave. The man summoned his friends via radio. Others showed up, surrounded Vang and started using racial epithets.

Vang said only one of the people confronting him was armed. Vang said that as he turned to leave, he saw the man with the gun point it at him. Then, Vang said the man fired at him from about 100 feet, with the bullet hitting the ground about 30 feet behind. Vang said he knelt and fired twice. The man dropped.

Others in the group began to run, some through the woods and others to the ATVs on which they'd arrived. Vang said he fired more shots and others in the group dropped. He said he chased one man (believed to be Joey Crotteau) through the woods, firing as he ran. The man was yelling ''Help me! Help me!'' as he ran. Vang said that when he got to within about 15 feet of him, Vang fired again, and the man fell. Vang said he walked up to the man, heard him groan and then walked away."
Old 11-23-2004, 01:25 PM

There is no limit to the amount of rounds your gun holds in Wisconsin. I own 5 sks rifles myself and none of them hold more then 10 rounds.

Also it turns out this nut job was arresred for puting a gun in his wifes face and telling her he was going to kill her. In frount of the kids of course. But that was in 2000. I am sure he is a stand up guy now.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:43 PM

i pray for the the to ppl that were hurt an for the ppls family of the ones that were killed