Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

the rut

Old 11-21-2004, 05:42 AM

Default the rut

Here in Eastern Ohio it appears that the rut is in full swing. My question is, does anyone else see this? and does it appear to be running late this yr? If its running late this could be great news for the gun hunters. I was also wondering if the DNR will change our season next yr to make it later in the yr to avoid coinciding with the rut?
Old 11-21-2004, 12:34 PM

Default RE: the rut

scroll down to "how long does the rut last
or check here
Old 11-21-2004, 01:42 PM

Default RE: the rut

man here in middle tennessee we are just now seeing major action from smaller bucks such as spikes an 4 pters...theyre starting the chase phase in full swing to the best of our families knowledge. so now is the time to hunt the does....i have avery successful stand i use when i want to see does....i know lots of hunters say they dont hunt does...they hunt buck trails and so on. but my money is on those slick heads at this point an it will continue to be a best bet until the latter part of the post rut in my opinion because we have a very uneven buck to doe ratio somewhere in teh area of 20 does to 1 buck around here....an for good rut action that is pathetic if u ask me....the 2 buck only isnt helping our are at all cuz the 20 hunters in the are are tagging out killing all the deer from the road that show themselves leaving only the mature bucks which are rarely seen during the season. but the chase phase has heated up an the rut is just around the corner here. i seen a doe acting very nervouse thismorning with her tail out at half cock position an the other does ran her off....so judge it the best ucan man hopefully u will luck up.