Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What is the best way to get a gun into a tree stand? >

What is the best way to get a gun into a tree stand?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is the best way to get a gun into a tree stand?

Old 11-19-2004, 07:55 AM

Default What is the best way to get a gun into a tree stand?

I left work early to do some hunting in the afternoon. I made it out to my tree and used my climber to go up about 18'. After I got the climber locked into place I sat down and started using a rope to pull my gun case up to the climber. I was looking over the side and pulling the gun case up when just under the tree stand the gun case handle broke off. When the rope went slack I ended up punching myself in the mouth and then I watched the gun fall to the ground. It was heart breaking watching my 2 week old gun fall helplessly into the swamp.

Has anyone else been this unfortunate? Is there a better was climb a tree with a gun?
Old 11-19-2004, 07:58 AM

Default RE: What is the best way to get a gun into a tree stand?

I just carry it over my shoulder w/ the sling
Old 11-19-2004, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

I have an Avery Floating gun case. I either sling it over the shoulder or bring it up with a rope.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:42 AM

Shoulder sling w/o a round in the chamber.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the gun unloaded I tie a rope (climbing grade 8mm) around the stock behind the trigger guard. I lower it the same way but swing it a little at the last so that the barrel isn't driven into the ground. Both ways the barrel is pointed down. The rock climbing gear rope is strong, doesn't get knotted up, and the extra thickness is easier on your hands during raising and lowering.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I make sure I don't have a bullet in chamber...Tie a rope to stand tie other end to gun strap...and get setup in tree..then pull gun up...I tie rope in middle of strap so it comes up horizontal...I don't want muzzle pointing at me...once I get it up, I use a crow call to hide the sound of me working bolt to put bullet in chamber....Don't really know why you would want to bring gun case up the stand with you??? Good Luck
Old 11-19-2004, 09:20 AM

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye
Don't really know why you would want to bring gun case up the stand with you??? Good Luck
I started keeping the gun in the case about 2 years ago. I use to pull the gun up with out a case but one day I went to load load a bullet and there was a clump of dirt in the chamber. I had to go back to the truck and and flush out the dirt WD-40. Since then I just left it in the case. Once i take out the gun I lower the case back to the base of the tree. It's a camo case that I spray with scent lock. I'm actually glad it was in the case after watching it drop.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:21 PM

I used to use a rope to raise and lower my firearm and day pack but have gone to unloading my firearm, slinging it barrel down over my head and one shoulder and climb into or out of my stand/blind. I do this because the barrel over my shoulder will hit my blind door top when I duck my head to enter 16-ft off the ground. With a muzzleloader I have to reverse the direction of the barrel, but stay aware of where the barrel is so I don't hit the door top with the barrel. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2004, 04:39 PM

Default RE: What is the best way to get a into a tree stand?

I'm surprised at how many people climb with there . I was taught to never climb with my . I had never given it much thought till mine dropped after the case handle broke. I also just bought a new tree climber and it even came with a DVD that had a warning section that said to never climb with a bow or back pack.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm surprised at how many people climb with there . I was taught to never climb with my
Same here SeaHunter, I don't hunt the swamps so I can lay my gun on the ground without any problems, Just being careful of the rocks and stuff and then pull it up after I get settled in my stand, I also have a short piece of cord that I tie my gun with after I'm in the stand, just in case I doze off and drop it. I thought at first that it might be in the way but after about 2 years of doing it that way it has not once been a henderence to me in anyway, and also if a person was to drop his gun from the stand, not to mention the damage it would receive, I would'nt want to be in a stand with a loaded firearm hitting the ground below me.

Quick Reply: What is the best way to get a gun into a tree stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.