Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

first buck on my own...

Old 11-10-2004, 10:15 PM

Default first buck on my own...

I should've waited for a more mature one, and I 'thought' this one was an 8 point, (ground shrinkage?) but this is my first buck on my own. Actually, only my second deer at all, my first was 5 years ago in my early 30s,a nd it was a decent 6 point that a good friend took me hunting for.

I kinda know what 'buck fever' means now, and I debated for 10 min watching this one before I decided to take the shot. Not sure of the range, I'm taking a range finder out this weekend to see....by the way I judge racks...probably 20 yards but looked like 200!

I got bit by the hunting bug, found a cool site like this one and everyone's comments helped from advice to getting a lease here in North Texas, to loads, etc. and wanted to say thanks

took him with the .243 Weatherby I inherited from my grandfather, so this one has taken yet another deer, just with me this time, using 100 grain Hornady Light Mags. 2nd evening of the Texas gun season, around 5pm, this was the biggest of three bucks, and came out as 110# dressed weight according to the processer. I still have two doe tags, so I'll try some more

thanks for the help,

KEN B
Old 11-10-2004, 10:21 PM

Default RE: first buck on my own...

congratulations on the hunt. nice buck. I too am just recently getting back into hunting (this will be 2nd year after a long hiatus)....the bug definitely bites hard, but feels sooo good!

I wouldn't worry about folks who say 'let em walk'....that buck is a nice way to get back into things, and it comes with the biggest buck bragging rights for you & your friends' hunt....from here you can always strive to improve your hunts each year.

I give ya a big high-5!!
Old 11-10-2004, 10:23 PM

Can't complain about that. Nice deer!
Old 11-10-2004, 10:29 PM

Aint nothin wrong with that Buck congrats
Old 11-10-2004, 10:48 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on a GREAT buck!
Old 11-10-2004, 11:13 PM
Fork Horn

nice pics
Old 11-11-2004, 01:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrates ,I cant see any pics
Old 11-11-2004, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

You shouldn't be doubting yourself or anything. You should be giving yourself a pat on the back. I would take that deer any day.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:58 AM

Hey nothing wrong with that deer at all. Congrats.

Old 11-11-2004, 07:33 AM

good job

Quick Reply: first buck on my own...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.