Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 another major dog shooting consideration while deer hunting >

another major dog shooting consideration while deer hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

another major dog shooting consideration while deer hunting

Old 11-10-2004, 09:27 PM

Default another major dog shooting consideration while deer hunting

Well, since a few things have been brought up lately about dogs, I thought I'd remind everyone that some guys use dogs to tree game during the day, and it is NOT ILLEGAL on lots of public land. Now, I know private land is one thing, but just remember that some guys use curs and hounds to hunt squirrels in the day. I know I do, and I hunt deer in the same place, sometimes on the same day and see plenty of deer. Just remember that some dogs that may appear to be running deer may actually be working a scent track or trying to make sense of a track such as deer or deer mixed with squirrel. Also, mountain curs, a major breed in squirrel hunting, sometimes look a little less refined than a setter or a hound or another popular hunting breed. They look like a good 'ole farm dog and even look a little pit bullish sometimes, so if you see one on public land its probably hunting squirrels. I know private land is your say, though I know I won't shoot a dog, especially if I think it is a hunting dog. Just remember that someone loves their squirrel dog or other treedog about as much as you love your 4 hours on stand. Here is a pic of my mountain cur pup on a tree, please don't shoot him if you see him, but if you do get ready to deal with an upset hunter.

Old 11-10-2004, 09:47 PM

Default RE: another major dog shooting consideration while deer hunting

Now this is just my opinion and the way I do things and it is not intended to upset anyone. That said during deer season I stay out of the woods unless im deer hunting. I hunt all kinds of small game but not during deer season as I dont want to spook deer. I feel its inconsiderate to go in to where I know deer hunters are and shoot squirrels or what ever. I know I have the right and its public land but our small game season runs much longer than deer season so I can wait till season is over. I dont shoot dogs just cause they are there I only shoot them if I actually see them on the heels of a deer running it to death.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:32 PM

Some guys ask the bowhunters where they will be and actually work the dog in their favor and hunt to benefit both parties. When a dog is runnin the woods with his handler up the creek from you, you're likely to see a lot more moving deer...not spooked deer, just deer moving away from the dog and hunter. Or perhaps they will wait and cast the dogs at around 9 or 10 am and hunt til noon. I actually plan on doing some bowhunts next season where I hunt til about 9 and then go to the truck and cast out the squirrel dog. Load up at noon and go eat...then bowhunt the evening. This is fair, isn't it? I won't take my dog on public land to hunt squirrels during a rifle season, but bow season is 3 and a half months long here, from Oct 1 to Jan 15, which is the best time to hunt squirrels with a dog. However, if it is inconsiderate to hunt small game during a deer season...small game hunters may think the exact opposite - that it is inconsiderate for deer hunters to hunt deer and get all cry-babyish about shotguns goin' off during prime small game hunting. This can swing both ways. Public land is just that...public land, and unless laws say otherwise, there is nothing wrong with a small game hunter workin' the woods with his hound or curs, or birddogs for that matter while a deer hunter is on stand, and he should not have to fear that his dog will get shot in the process because a hunter decided the dog was running deer. If a deer hunter is going to march out on public land, they should know if it is a legal dog running season and be ready for it by sucking it up and maybe talking to the dog handler about a plan for optimum success for both hunters. Like I said, I know private land is a different issue and feral dogs are a different issue I'll go ahead and mention. I'm a big deer hunter, and I run my dog on private land several days a week and hunt deer on it, too, and I get deer on it. I already got a buck off it and would probably have got another if I wasn't workin' the dog so much. I've been running my dog since about June or July on my deer land, then went right out at the start of deer season and I'm seein' deer everywhere, and sign all over where I run the dog. All I would like to suggest, as I've suggested before, is that deer hunters keep an eye out for other hunters by not shooting their dogs on public land. Even if the dog is running a deer for a minute while trying to figure out a scent, it is not necessarily illegal for the dog to involuntarily follow its nose. It wouldn't be polite to intentionally cast your dog towards a deer hunter's stand when you know he is there, but it is not inconsiderate in my opinion to run a dog during any legal season. Inconsiderate would be to shoot a small game hunter's dog.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:17 AM

as i mentioned in my earlier post I dont shoot a dog unless I see that it is actually on the heels of a deer especially a fawn and even then I dont shoot the dog first, I shoot the ground near the dog to try and scare it off and if that doesnt work and the dog is still continueing the chase I would shoot it if its still in range. I can say that I have never shot a dog the shot in the ground near the dog has worked flawlessly I have been successful at scareing them away at least so far. I do understand your reasoning and it sounds as though you have control of your dog and I commend you for that. There are so many people that just turn em loose and let em do what they want which is ok but I dont think it should be in the deer woods. I go hunting to enjoy being in the woods Gods country and I dont care if I get a deer or not its just being there. I should also mention that if I see the dog has a collar or some other evidence that it is some ones pet I wont shoot it. I have a dog also but its an inside dog and doesnt like going out. We have her litter box trained. By the way that pic of your dog is cool especially where hes in the tree. I dont want to shoot a dog but I would if I had to and even then I would have second thoughts about it but when it comes to a fawn being chased I would but only after a so called warning shot.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:34 AM

Idahunter, that's a respectable reply and a respectable opinion. This has been a good readin' post. Thanks for your input, and thanks for the compliment on my huntin' dog. -MIKE
Old 11-11-2004, 01:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

I couldnt shoot someones pet
Old 11-11-2004, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

You guys are good shots!

I had 2 coyotes run through my set ups this year. I don't think anyone would argue shooting those little varmits but man when they are firing through at top speed I could barely get the safety off much less shoot the thing. A dog running after a deer would be a tough target.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:40 PM

I used to hunt Quail when I lived in Kansas and you had to be fast and accurate and a coyote or a dog is is a lot bigger target.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:42 PM

I am a die hard deerhunter and a also have a Brittany that i bird hunt with he is also like my kid i could never think about shooting any dog just because it is chasing a deer collar or no collar i could never live with myself thinking that it might be someones pet they are looking for the woods are for everything dogs too.
Just my two cents
Good luck to everybody
Old 11-11-2004, 03:51 PM

I have given this subject alot of thought and I have never shot a dog and I doubt that I could but I would be hard pressed if it was a fawn that was being chased. So in reality by the time I would make up my mind it would be to late any way.

Quick Reply: another major dog shooting consideration while deer hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.