Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 I have read of bucks attacking hunters, have you? >

I have read of bucks attacking hunters, have you?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I have read of bucks attacking hunters, have you?

Old 11-10-2004, 03:01 PM

Default I have read of bucks attacking hunters, have you?

I have read of bucks attacking hunters, have you? I read it in Buckmasters magazine.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:15 PM

Default RE: I have read of bucks attacking hunters, have you?

I've heard of it happening, one of those a friend of a friend kind of stories. I don't doubt that it's happened before, but not that often. Here's the story that I've heard, regardless of whether or not it's true, it's kind of cool.

This friend of a friend shoots a buck from a stand right at the end of the day. He waits a bit to start tracking it down, but not too long because it'll be dark soon. Anyway, he starts tracking the blood in the snow with a flashlight. The red of the blood is easy to follow in the snow, so he's got his head down and moving quickly to find the deer. Apparently this guys walked right in to the buck, who was standing and facing him. At that moment the deer lounged at him with it's last ounce of energy, plowing with his antlers, and then dropped dead.

I've never heard of it happening other than that.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:47 PM

Ive seen a video of a guy calling a buck and was attacked by it.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have heard of it alot but never seen it...i think that whitetails are considered the most dangerous game in North America due to the number of injuries resulted from them.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

yep
Old 11-10-2004, 10:39 PM

I've seen a video of a guy who got attacked by an 8 pter. I think the buck punctured a hole in his lung. One of those fenced in deer that got used to humans and when the rut started got a little too brave. I don't think that stuff happens in the woods though.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:23 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Trustee

I've seen a video of a guy who got attacked by an 8 pter. I think the buck punctured a hole in his lung. One of those fenced in deer that got used to humans and when the rut started got a little too brave. I don't think that stuff happens in the woods though.
Since I was nearly attacked by a buck 4 years ago I'll politely disagree with that . There have been verified incidents of rutting bucks attacking and sometimes killing people in the woods . There was just such an incident in my state a few days ago , the hunter survived it .
Old 11-11-2004, 07:54 AM

How exactly were you nearly attacked?
Old 11-11-2004, 09:35 AM

one incident happened in calhoun county arkansas several years ago . a husband and wife were walking on a rural county road when they saw a buck. he was a pretty good buck. they both commented on how pretty he was and continued walking , thinking he would leave the area. he didnt !
he walked onto the road behind them and with ears back started walking toward them . the couple got tense at this point. the he husband told his wife to start walking down the road and he would try and spook the deer. the deer didnt spook and attacked him. the man tried to fight the deer off but couldnt. a buck deer would give any man more fight than they would want. !!!!!

Finally for whatever reason the buck ran off. the man suffered some pretty bad injuries .

this was in the newspaper .

rare it is ! but it does happen .
Old 11-11-2004, 10:41 AM

Here is a local article int he Indianapolis star.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/2/193868-7672-093.html

Hoosier hunter injured in deer attack

Associated Press
November 11, 2004

NORTH VERNON, Ind. -- A 69-year-old bowhunter was treated for injuries he said he suffered during a wrestling match with an angry deer.

Jim Mick, of North Vernon, said the deer attacked him Monday while he was hunting alone in rural Decatur County in south-central Indiana.

"He came out of the tall grass and briars," Mick, assessor of Center Township in Jennings County, told The Republic of Columbus. "When I realized it, he was on me already."

Mick said the animal that he estimated to weigh about 150 pounds struck him in the chest and knocked him to the ground, goring him in the thigh.

"All I had time to do was throw my hands up and grab his antlers," said Mick.

After about a 10-minute struggle, Mick said he managed to put a tree between himself and the deer, and the animal retreated.

Mick put a makeshift bandage on his leg and returned to his vehicle to call family members for help, he said. His son-in-law took him to a hospital in Greensburg, where he was treated for the gash and other minor injuries and released.

"It was probably a draw, but I think I got the worst of it," Mick said. "I don't think he had any gouge marks on him."

Quick Reply: I have read of bucks attacking hunters, have you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.