Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gun vs Bow

Old 11-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Gun vs Bow

When it is dead it is dead
Old 11-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a bow hunter and a gun hunter and I'm serious about deer hunting no matter what weapon I have in my hand. I honestly have to say in my opinion that there's no difference as long as you're taking lung/heart shots.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:20 PM

I was taught when i was in the army is you will never hear the shot that kills you.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:01 AM

All I was saying is that with the same good shot placement, a gun does a better job. The bowhunter comment was not meant as a slam to gun hunters (even though I now bowhunt, I consider myself a gun hunter and would gladly carry my slug gun into the field anyday as opposed to my bow, but bowhunting lengthened my season substantially), it was just to say that most (again I also know a few bozo bow hunters who take crappy shots) bowhunters do it either because they want a longer season or increased challenge, and therefore want to hunt (however they can hunt) more than an average gun hunter. This, IMO, leads to better practice and shot judgement just because they enjoy hunting that much. My thought is that, with the same shot into heart, lungs, spine, etc. (vital zone), the gun outperforms the bow. But as it was said, it all lies with the person aiming and pulling the trigger. I was not making a blanket statement against gun hunters, as it should be said many gun hunters are also very enthusiastic about hunting, but may not want to mess with archery or the headaches it produces, but are very efficient at hitting vitals and killing animals.

BTW--you will hear the shot that kills you with a shotgun or a bow because they are both subsonic projectiles (however, you probably wouldn't realize it with a shotgun )
I wish I could use my .308 (you couldn't hear that before it hit you) in IL, but shotgun only.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:27 AM

I herd of people shooting deer with a bow and the deer not even know its been hit and walk a few yards and fall over.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

I also bow and gun hunt.

The only difference between each in my opinion is that a gun gives you more opportunities to shoot (ie: range, moving animal, etc). Both I feel will kill just as easily as the other.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

If I had to choose between an arrow at 15yds or a bullet at 150yds I think I'd take whatever the shooter was more accurate with!!! Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement!

In the final analysis though, if we're talking about quickness of death, certainty of kill, mechanical failure or human error, and so on, I'll choose the bullet.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well a deer is less likely to feel an arrow pass through his lungs than a bullet. The arrow slices with razor blades and they seldom feel it. you ever cut yourself with a razorblade ? It takes a little while before you even notice it. A gun shot kills with a lot of force ( Shock ) They say a gunshot is painfull. They both die very sudden though, when both are placed in the vitals. You know there are no nerve endings in the lung tissue ? Your lungs cannot hurt, nor your brain.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

While I agree that either weapon will do the job as long as the shot is placed correctly, I still think the bullet is more humane for one reason: I have shot plenty of deer with my 30.06 that never took a step after I hit them. They would drop like a ton of bricks. This hasn't happened everytime, but it has happened a good number of times. I have yet to drop a deer in its tracks with a bow. Also, i think there is more room for error with a gun. Let's say your shot is an inch or two too far foward and you hit the deer in the shoulder bone. I have seen guys who have done that with a bow and didn't kill the deer because the arrow didn't penetrate enough. Put a bullet smack in the shoulder of a deer and that is still a dead deer. I also feel like people are forgetting one thing: BUCK FEVER. Although it is unfortune, a little mistake can happen once in a while, and I would rather make that little mistake with a bullet than with an arrow.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Both. Which ever you choose (I do both). You must choose shots as to promote a quick dispatch. Its not a matter of gun verses bow, ethically there is no difference. When I bow hunt, I only take shots that will promote a quick dispatch same can be said about rifles. The only difference is that it is easier to get good shoots with a rifle. A bow hunter has to be more patient.