Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A good weekend hunting...

Old 11-08-2004, 04:13 PM

Default A good weekend hunting...

granite i didn't get any deer, its my third year deer hunting, but it turned out to be the best weekend i've had in my life. First off in the morning/afternoon we did a deer drive right away but didn't get anything.. but i saw 2 huge bucks in the field but they didn't come close enough for me to shoot.

then at night, i was sitting in a ground blind by a rub on the ground and a scrape on the tree, and sure enough here came a nice 6 pointer that night, but i didn't have a clear shot at him so i didn't take him, i figured it wasn't to sportsman like to shoot a nice buck like that and never find him. But ya, that was the best moment for me, gave me some good buck fever to lol.

Now the unfortunant part =(... it was sunday afternoon and we all went out to the stands. My dad took a shortcut through the corn since he figured thats where the most of the deer are because it was kind of cold and pretty windy. So he was walking through the corn and looking through the rows, and here it is, a nice 10-12 pointer. The only shot he would've had was a headshot, so he was going to take it, but the wind was going right towards the deer and the deer smelt him. So my dad had to take a quick shot towards the head and he missed. But the deer got up and my dad took another shot and hit him right in the chest, a nicely placed shot. So we get out and start tracking it.

Mind you, he shot it around 11:00 in the morning, we went looking for it till 12:30, took a small break for lunch and went out again. We spent the rest of the afternoon searching for him, we followed the blood trail for a while and then we lost it. We looked everywhere. But, now heres the crazy thing. My dad had to go poop and so he went out in a cornfield a lil ways away from where he shot it, so here he is going and he's looking out and right in front of his face was another spot of blood!!!! So he called me and we went following the trail again. But we lost it but, it was the greatest weekend of my life..... just being able to see a nice 6 pointer right by me, and to see a couple huge bucks, and then following a blood trail. Makes it the best weekend of my life. If we find the deer, i'll post a pic of the horns.

Im going to remember this for a long time, especially that 6 pointer who came within 10-15 yards of me, boy you should have seen my hands then, im only 14 so i've only had a couple years of hunting, so it was a good experience for me. Sorry its so long
Old 11-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A good weekend hunting...

thats huntin'
Old 11-08-2004, 08:48 PM

ya it was fun, were going out again tomorrow in the morning to try and find the deer, we know the farmer who farms the land, if he picks his corn, we asked him to give us a call if he finds a nice buck, so either way im hoping we find him. the meat is ruined but if we get the horns im gonna post em for ya
Old 11-08-2004, 11:29 PM

Its least you enjoyed it and thats the most important part
Old 11-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

You sound so happy? I wouldn't be happy if that were me. It's not all about the antlers you know.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:44 PM

so let me guess rackluster, your the best deer hunter here, u've been hunting for 50 years plus and you know everything right?

well, let me tell you, my first deer i got was a small button buck, i was proud but i kept getting sh** from everyone in the freaking country. I still cant figure out why, So you gotta bet i was excited when i saw that 6 pointer 10-15 yards away from me... I did everything perfect, so y not be excited? 3rd year hunting, only seen like 5 deer max in my life hunting, seen many while driving. So im asking you one question, if that 6 point buck was a freaking fawn, i would still be excited, god get a life
Old 11-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

cool it. you didn't even get what i was saying.

But we lost it but, it was the greatest weekend of my life.....
that's the part I don't understand. Not the fact that you got excited about seeing a buck. geez, the day I quit getting excited about seeing bucks is my last day hunting. Also, when I start calling the weekend I lost a ten point the 'greatest weekend of my life' IS ALSO MY LAST DAY HUNTING.

and then following a blood trail. Makes it the best weekend of my life. If we find the deer, i'll post a pic of the horns.
That second quote makes it sound like 1. you enjoyed tracking the deer even though you didn't find it and 2. That you are after the horns and aren't too bothered by the fact that the deer is wasted.

I was not refering, at all, to the fact that you were excited about seeing a deer. Sorry I have to explain that to you.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:16 PM

ok yes i understand what you mean, but i honestly could care less if it had horns, its just a bonus if it has horns. I strictly hunt for meat, but that was the first time i've ever followed a blood trail, so it was fun. And like my dad said, its a shame to shoot a deer with that magnitude and never find it, so yes i do feel bad about it.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

Pheasant.... Being out there and learning is what it's all about! Nobody likes to lose a deer but it happens! Glad to hear you had such a great time! Don't worry about the whiners who don't like buttons being killed. I think some of the antler hunters in this world lost the true meaning of the hunt! You can't measure success by antler size! Any antler or any deer for that matter is a trophy to me! And any day in the woods is a great day! Congrats on a great day! ... Jim
Old 11-10-2004, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Glad you enjoyed OUR great outdoors the best way it can be..............with your family!

Sorry to hear that you and your Pop couldn't find that deer he shot. I LOVE stalking cornrows when it's a little windy to mask the sounds of crunching stalks and brushing.

I gotta a kick out of your Pop taking a dump and seeing blood. But losing a blood trail happens. I always wait a long while before blood trailing. If you went trailing after him soon after the shot in the corn, that can be real tough.

Hope you have some luck later in the season. But I believe that folks make their own "luck" if you know what I mean.

I will leave you with this. We like to pray as a group before a day's hunt. I always say a heartfelt prayer after I harvest an animal, thanking our Lord and the animal for sharing with me the great outdoors, the whole hunt experience and provision of food that I am so grateful for. I believe that praying will help you feeel better about every single aspect of your hunt. The hunt itself. The company, comradorie and love you share. The harvest. Even the opportunities missed.

I personally find the group prayer to be most rewarding. I think you might as well.

Uncle Matt (in IL)

Quick Reply: A good weekend hunting...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.