Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 I need serious help with my slug gun!!!! PLEASE!!! >

I need serious help with my slug gun!!!! PLEASE!!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I need serious help with my slug gun!!!! PLEASE!!!

Old 11-07-2004, 06:59 PM

Default I need serious help with my slug gun!!!! PLEASE!!!

I bought a new fully rifled slug barell and scope for my Mossberg 835 ulti-mag. This gun has only been used for turkey hunting since I'm just getting back into to shotgun hunting for deer (I bowhunt a lot). Well i take it out today with a buddy and was going to sight it in. the guy at the shop put a new Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn 3x9x40 scope on it. While he was at it he went ahead and bore sighted it. My buddy shoots the first shot with it today at 25 yards, and its on the paper just about 4 in. low and 5 in. to the right. We make an adjustment with the scope and I shoot the next shot and it hits the same hole! We mess around with it and finally get it to shoot descent at 25 yards, so we take the target back to 50 yards. First shot, way low and way right, mess with it some more and get the height right, and make one last adjustemtn cause we only had 1 slug left, and what do ya know the last shot wasn't even on the paper!!! this thing is killing me, we shot 2-3/4" Lightfield slugs out of it. What do you guys think is going on?? Need a different ammo?? HELP!!!
Old 11-07-2004, 07:05 PM

Default RE: I need serious help with my slug gun!!!! PLEASE!!!

I'd say something is wrong with the scope. take it back and get it checked out. Also, a 3-9X40 on a shotgun? i woulda went with something like 1-4 or something in that ballpark.

slayer
Old 11-07-2004, 07:46 PM

I have a mossberg 500. I put the Bushnell Banner scope on mine. The only difference is my scope is a 1.5-4.5 x 32. After bore sighting it and then taking it to the range it took little adjustment to get it right. I would say there might be something wrong with the scope. I think deerslayer is right, try something within the 1-4 ballpark.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Look at the scope mounts is it loose or is it in a bine.

Some sope mounts will be cut wrong and make the scope not work at all.

Theres a place to start.

Oh yea is the slugs you are useing rifled slugs?

If you have a rifled barrel you need to shoot sabots and not rifled slugs.

Rifled slugs are for smoth bore slug guns.

Sabots are for rifled barrels.

See if it has a cross hair lock on it some scopes have a lock to

lock the cross hairs so they don't move once you have it set.

Well Good Luck with it.

jrbsr
Old 11-08-2004, 01:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Id say try another scope
Old 11-08-2004, 02:57 AM

sabot slugs

new scope

and clean all the lead out of the barrel
Old 11-08-2004, 05:55 AM

I too bought a new slug gun and used lightfields. My scope was not boresighted and it is a Bushnell 1.75x4x32. Your sighting in sounds like my experience carbon copied up until your last slug was off the paper. It took me a total of four or five boxes to zero it 1 inch high at 50 yds dead ctr. At 100 we did not have to touch it at all as it was dead nuts. The reason so many boxes is because I bought 3 different kinds. Federal, Remington coppers and lightfields. I was interested in the grouping first at 25 yds to see which brand fired tightest. Surprising enough if we were to remove the targets we used for each of the three brands from the board we would have seen 2 out of three slugs were in the same hole for each brand. I choose the Lightfields as the cycled smoothest through my 1300. The left overs from the others we just shot down range at blank targets. The following weekend we went back with the lightfields and it took us two boxes to bring it in where we wanted it. Our problem tended to be the mental math in adjusting the clicks to shorter distances. I know it is frustrating but I would definitely bring it back and talk to the shop.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:22 AM

I have the mossberg 835 ultra as well. It came with 2 barrells.. one smooth bore and one rifled. I started using some federal sabots and had her shooting about 1 inch high @ 100 yards. This does have a scope on it. Not a name brand, just a cheap shotgun scope from walmart. I have shot a lot of times with it and have had great luck. One day, a buddy here at work donated afew high dollar sabots and told me to try them out. Well, they sucked. None of them hit my paper @100 yards. I thought maybe it was me and gave the gun to my hunting buddy and told him to shoot 2 and see what happens. He had same results. I put in 3 of my federals and they were dead on again. Dont know if that will help, but try some different shells and make sure they are sabots and not just rifled slugs. If one brand doesn't work, try a different brand. Good luck and keep us updated on what you find out.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:26 AM

same thing happened to me ....guy at the store was in a hurry and did a hatchet job in boresighting my scope. Took it to a reputable gunsmith and he fixed it in 10 min. Cabela's has boresighters for like $40 ....if you want it done right , do it yourself
Old 11-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you adjust the scope and hit the same place you did before ethe adjustment, you have a scope or mount problem. The scope is new, so it's more likely the mount, but you never know.

If it were me, I'd tear it down, loctite the mounts/screws down and start over.

Of course, shoot only sabots or hybrids. If you get poor accuracy, switch to another brand of ammo. My gun loves Winchester 2 3/4 inch BRI's but hated Hornady H2k. You have to try them until you find one that groups.

Quick Reply: I need serious help with my slug gun!!!! PLEASE!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.