Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

30 caliper bullets,I've used.

Old 11-07-2004, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default 30 caliper bullets,I've used.

In the past 10 years,I tried Hornady,Sierra,Speer and Remington bulk bullets. All were shot with my 308,loaded with 44 grains of BLC(2) powder,behind a 165 grain ball.
It turns out that the Remington bullets do the quickest kill! The others just pasted thru,with little damage.The deer were all accounted for,but traveled farther than the Rem hits? All were shot in the same body areas and about the same distance.
Have any ideas why????????
Old 11-07-2004, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 30 caliper bullets,I've used.

diffrent bullet design.....some transferd more engery then others and expanded faster..slower...and in diffrent ways.....deer hunting im a big fan of a rapidly expanding bullet.....hollow points are my favorite...just so hard to find in 3006 without ordering them....i killed 3 with hollow points....only one took a step...made it 20 feet.....with a broken shoulder....he was dead he just didnt know it.....im not a fan of soft points......they do their job....just not like the rapid expanders.....i think im shooting ballistic tips this year since i cant find HPs and my handloads ran dry.....all depends what you want and need from a bullet.....what you like.....how and where you hunt......and what you hunt.....shooting a 300lb canadian whitetail id definently take a bullet designed to hold up to the task......all bullets are not created equal.....put in the boiler room most will punch a hole and kill the deer.....but like you said.....some seem to zip right through.....thats using too much of a bullet.....not expanding enough......too heavy....designed for bigger game.....or not moving fast enough......theres alot of factors that leave game down quicker with bigger holes.....
Old 11-07-2004, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mauser right design and construction of the bullet produces the difference in results some are expansion design and others are made to retain weight for increased penetration design. Lots of overlap as well for deer bullets but that is why we pick the one the rings our fancy!

shooting a 300lb canadian whitetail id definently take a bullet designed to hold up to the task......all bullets are not created equal
NBT's are all I use for our whitetails and never had a problem dropping the canadian prairie bucks with them. The real qualifier is distance and where you aim! Many guys who come up here to hunt aim for the high shoulder shot so they prefer nosler partition, TBBC, etc. However if your shooting ribs the NBT blows right through the same on 300 lbs buck as it does on 175 doe. The NBT is a great boiler room bullet IMHO comes with superb accuracy, excellent for down range shooting ability and puts a good wound channel in the animal.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Skeeter, you just answered a question from a thread I have going but I'm curious how the NBT's fair against bone like a shoulder or head on neck shot?
Old 11-07-2004, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm curious how the NBT's fair against bone like a shoulder or head on neck shot?
I just returned from an elk hunt where a 180gr ballistic tip passed through both shoulders of a mature elk before lodging in the hide.The remaining bullet weighed 111.7gr for 62% weight retention.Since the elk was twice the size of even our largest deer,the bullet would have easily exited any deer.I use 140gr -7mmballistic tips for all of my deer,pronghorn and bighorn hunting.I use lung shots and the bullet almost always exits.However if the shoulders are hit the bullet will break the shoulders but does make a bit of a mess.I shoot a couple of 7mmstw's so muzzle velocity of the 140gr bullet is 3500fps.In the case of the elk the bullet left the barrel at 3340fps out of a 300ultramag.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:05 PM

I've used the whole gammut of .30 cal rounds but my favorite round is still the 200grain .35 Rem. I know I know topic was about the .30 but I prefer to stalk in close and spend alot of time on the ground in Georgia but that .35 round put a hurting on em quick. and with the chance of running into a big hog with an attitude I like how that rounds actis like atruck hitting them.

Rob
Old 11-07-2004, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use 150 gr NBT out my 7mm rem mag I am not a pin shooter persay but I have taken several quarter shots where the bullet enters in the ribs and exits the opposite shoulder, in all cases the bullet has passed through. However like Stubblejumper stated they tend to leave a bit of a mess when hitting bone. The only true flush shoulder shot experience I have was on a buck approx 125 yards (.277/130gr CT - Ballistic Tip), this was a shooting error on my part [:@]! The bullet smashed the face shoulder and took out the lungs..no exit and bullet was fraged badly. I don't use neck or head shots so can't comment on experience/results, sorry.

Personally if I aimed for the shoulder or bone mostly I would either go with 180 gr version in your 300 win or pick a bullet meant to retain weight like the Partition, Accubond, etc.