Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How necessary is a stand?

Old 11-07-2004, 01:14 AM

Default How necessary is a stand?

I'm sure this is a huge debate amongst hunters, but since I am brand new to the sport I need some education. How important is it to use a stand. I am not the kind of guy who is going to try stalking a deer (not yet atleast, I need to learn more about them first). My style so far seems to be to find a spot that looks promising and sit down on the ground and wait for a deer.

I know this style is probably flawed in many ways, but would a stand help me out a ton in this situation? Is on the ground OK? I've read some of the benefits to using a stand and it seems like the way to go. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 11-07-2004, 01:32 AM

Default RE: How necessary is a stand?

I think stands are a great way to go. Especially if you hunt in an area with a lot of hunters. You don't want to stalk a deer and possible push that deer to someone else. Also, stands allow you to see much further. It gives you a better idea of how and where the deer move and keeps (in some cases) the deer from seeing and smelling you. The only draw back is it can be dangerous and the first time you install your stand it can be noisey.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

FLAWED,No way it takes more skill to hunt on the ground. I'm glad 44 years ago I started hunting on the ground. Learned alot of things I would of never learned in a tree. Hey stands are nice and I have used them and if I was able to would today. Scout a area ,find the trails being used and build your ,self a natural brush blind.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:02 AM

I do the stalking/walking through the woods when I first freeze myself out of my tree. Once I get warm I head back because I don't want to be the one who pushes a deer to someone else. I would also say stalking is great to do when there is about 2-4 inches of fresh snow on the ground. Nothing frozen...too much noise!
Old 11-07-2004, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Assuming you hunt where there are suitable trees, having a stand will increase your hunting options and your odds. Bowhunting success has increased dramatically with the use of tree stands. It's not necessary, but you are further increasing the odds in the deer's favor by not using one.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stands are not required but will greatly improve your chances of seeing deer. If your area has trees that you could use a climbing stand in, I'd buy myself a good climber.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Matt,

Trust me.... (I am also pretty much a "newbie" - my 3rd year.) I have made the biggest bonehead mistakes known to man out there. I remember how I NEVER saw deer and how I didn't have a tree stand at the time. Deer could wind me from 3 miles away!

{imagining a herd of deer laughing at me.... "(Sniff) Hey everyone, check it out (sniff), it's that dumb-a$$ newbie hunter again". Another deer: "(Sniff) Yeah, he's using Mennen Speed Stick again". Another deer: "(Sniff)Not only that, but I think his wife washed his camo in (sniff) I think 'Cheer' laundry detergent!" First deer again: "(Sniff) Ha ha ha ha.... Let's get outta here though. One of these days he'll wise up". - Sha-Zam, the whole herd vanishes from the area I'm going to hunt... }

Matt, do yourself a favor - take it from me..... Get your a$$ up in a tree! Deer can smell anything. Deer can smell the type of shampoo you used in your hair. No joke! Their nose is way more powerful than even the best bloodhound.

Once I learned the hard way and got a tree stand, I started seeing deer, and hearing them rummaging around.

Butch A.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:35 AM

I believe deer notice movement very quickly and a stand keeps you off the ground out of their normal viewing area. A blind is of some sort is good also. I have been busted in a stand because of moving. Staying still has been the key for me.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:15 AM

Matt; Especially since you're new to the sport, I would 100% for sure buy some sort of a climbing tree stand. I use a tree lounge and am able to go as high as I like with it. The higher the better I feel. You get your scent up out of their noses and you'll strt seeing alot of deer. If you decide to use a blind---you'll have to brush it in really good!!!! Turkeys don't mind blinds and will walk right in next to you----but deer are 100% different---they can pick a blind out a long way away. Plus you have to use a ton of cover scent and no scent in a blind. It's up to you, but I'd go with a tree stand if you want to start seeing alot of deer..... Good luck with your hunting season!!!!
Old 11-07-2004, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

I've never used a stand. When I first got into hunting I was on my own as you are now and from reading magazines and watching tv I just assumed I needed one. Turns out that's not the case at all. You should see plenty of deer by staying on the ground.

On another note, you say you're not going to try stalking but it sounds like you already are! Stalking doesn't mean you're constantly moving. You take a few slow, calculated steps, pause to look around and then take a few more steps, etc...When you find a gamey looking area, find a stump and sit down for a while (15, 30, 60 minutes...whatever your instincts tell you). Stump sitting is by far when I see the most game but if nothing seems to be moving I can just get up and find another spot. You get many of the benefits of a tree stand plus mobility; I wouldn't have it any other way.

Quick Reply: How necessary is a stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.