Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Bow hunters wounding more deer... >

Bow hunters wounding more deer...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bow hunters wounding more deer...

Old 11-05-2004, 12:44 AM

Default Bow hunters wounding more deer...

Bowhunting is obviously more challenging then using a gun. The one big advantage is most of the time bowhunters have the woods to themselves which translates to no pressure on the deer. So why is everyone wounding deer? I've read more stories about wounded deer this last few weeks then I can imagine. Couple things I was taught about bow hunting...1. don't shoot at a deer if he/she is more than 40 yards away! 2. don't shoot if the deer is not broadside! 3. don't ever shoot at a moving deer! 4. the shot must be clear with no obstacles!

I will admit my blue print for shooting a deer has resulted in 0 kills with a bow. But at the same time I can say I've never wounded a deer with a bow.

Sure some mistakes can be made but...
Old 11-05-2004, 01:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bow hunters wounding more deer...

Trustee,My standards are even tougher then yours.I am disabled ,use a 200 lb x-bow. 25 yards is my max at only broadside shot.And never moving and never in brush.And I hunt on the ground.So you know how difficult that is. I never lost a deer with my x-bow in 6years and have shot 15.None have gone over 40 yards. I have gun hunted 44 years and seen lots of guys because of shooting the wrong shot wound and loose deer also.It is not the weapon,it is the skill and choice of killing shots that makes the difference.People make mistakes ,we are human.Just so we all including me learn from them.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'll tell you what, it's just a matter of time before you lose one, i didnt believe it either, but it does happen to almost everyone....i wont take a shot over 30 yds. passed more deer this year because of that rule, but that is ok....the deer i lost was broadside @ 13 yds.......liver shot...a couple inches to the left and it would of been a double lung...i did everything right, but the shot was back a hair.....it just part of it....it's not what we want as bowhunters.....gun hunters lose deer too...as long as we do everything we can to take the time to take a good shot and do everything to find that animal then no one should critize......learn from our mistakes, mine was i went looking for a dead deer, it was still alive....should of waited longer.....
Old 11-05-2004, 05:09 AM

Trust me there are just as many bonehead gun hunters as there are bonehead bowhunters. idiot come in a shapes ,sizes and colors!@
Old 11-05-2004, 05:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

For every story you read about a wounded deer there are ten deer down that you don't read about.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: soarkrebel

Trust me there are just as many bonehead gun hunters as there are bonehead bowhunters. idiot come in a shapes ,sizes and colors!@
DITTO!!!
Old 11-05-2004, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

I've seen many three legged deer due to sloppy slug hunters but ( knock on wood ) I have yet to see one with an arrow in it I'm not saying that it will never hapen to me but I try my best to eliminate the chance with both gun and bow
Old 11-05-2004, 08:11 AM

My first buck which I got 10/29/04 had a broadhead stuck in the back strap at first I thought a gun hunter made a poor shot but during butchering I found the broad head. We all make mistakes and more than others. Its the slob hunters that I cant stand.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's why they call it hunting and not "killing". Gun or bow hunting, wounding a deer happens and we all learn from that...
Old 11-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Exactly what PaJack said, it happens the difference is learning from the mistake vs repeating them.

Quick Reply: Bow hunters wounding more deer...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.