Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shoulder hit with cross bow

Old 11-04-2004, 08:22 PM

Default shoulder hit with cross bow

well what do you think the chances are of me finding my eight point I hit tonight ? Was in my stand just got situated and realized the wind was to my back ! Well to late now , I'll just stick it out for a few hours (3:00 pm in ohio) Wasn't in my stand for more then 5 min. nice high 8 point comes from my backside (GO FIGURE) Wind was gusting so I never heard him coming till he was almost in front of me. I was thinking he's going to wind me , sure enough he does ,takes off,I'm think'in see ya later , but when he gets about 30 YDs he stops , almost broadside and looks back. I let it fly, WHAM ! must of hit a twig or something, because the bolt hit foward on the shoulder,could see it still sticking out while he was running. Well I go down to where I stuck him to find some blood, Found a couple of drops, stopped there and went to get a buddy of mine to help me track(tradition )1 hour goes by we start tracking drops of blood (2-3 drops then 5-6 drops -then 2-3 drops but continous) did I mention it has now started to rain!!!just when we were about to call it quits because it was dark and could not find any blood we picked up on some more( a good 100 yds away,lucky) same thing not a whole lot but steady, It finally started raining hard enough to were we could no longer track. Man talk about depressing,I'm hoping to find him tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: shoulder hit with cross bow

Kerry probably has a better chance. Sounds like the odds are stacked against you. I thought about 23 yards was close to maximum for a cross bow.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:47 PM

What a bummer I really hope you do find him Good Luck Man
Old 11-05-2004, 12:29 AM

You bow hunters wound more deer...
Old 11-05-2004, 12:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dont sound good,but keep looking . the rain washed everything away.so go to the water sources,heavy brush and keep looking tommorrow. I have shot a x-bow for 6 years. I would say the distance was pushing it.They loose alot of energy at 30 yards.And at 30 yards the noise they make gives the animal a chance to react.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:25 AM
Dominant Buck

If the 'yotes haven't found it yet then it's probably alive , keep looking .
My 150# crossbow has plenty of KE , but shots past 30 yards are off my list . The bolt drops 10" between 20-30 yards , telling me that my attracting skills had better be good . I got a 180# recurve model for this season to slightly increase my KE , but I still won't shoot over 30 yards .
Old 11-05-2004, 05:00 AM

Maybe you'll find him but like others i won't take a shot over 30 yards witha crossbow or compound bow. it's just me!
Old 11-05-2004, 08:06 AM

Chances are with a shoulder shot at 30yds with a xbow , you just wounded him.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:29 AM

i wouldnt expect to find that deer...i refuse to shoot over 30 yards with any crossbow or bow.....to many factors can effect your shot.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shoulder shots ate tough,good luck,I hope ou find him...[]

Quick Reply: shoulder hit with cross bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.