Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Should I refridgerate buck/doe urine after opening? >

Should I refridgerate buck/doe urine after opening?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Should I refridgerate buck/doe urine after opening?

Old 11-04-2004, 05:08 PM

Default Should I refridgerate buck/doe urine after opening?

I opened my buck urine this morning and it had a strong ammonia smell. Is it ruined? I haven't used the doe urine yet and I don't want to waste that. How about tarsal gland. Does that need to be kept cold as well.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Should I refridgerate buck/doe urine after opening?

Was it a commercial product or from a kill ?
Newly purchased or thawed from last year ?
Was it previously frozen ?
Mixed plain/estrous urine or single doe ?

I keep mine in the fridge during the season , and I don't usually have leftovers , but any remaining lure of any animal type will get frozen for later use . Unopened commercial products when frozen can last over a year in the freezer , but will decline slightly . Freshly harvested urine can stay frozen for two or better . The product can easily be tested by removing a shaving and thawing it out . Plain urine will attract curious deer of either sex throughout the year , and makes for great practice during the off season . Take a camera instead of a bow or gun and practice drawing deer to you . Just as challenging as real hunting , requires the same skills and gear , and you'll never have the "one that got away" .
Old 11-04-2004, 06:43 PM

It was commerically bought buck urine from a single buck and I used it two times. A little bit each time. About 1/4 of the bottle (a small bottle, is that enough?). I bought it new this year, middle of August. I have single doe urine I will use in the next week or so, should I refriderate that after each use?

After gutting a doe or buck, is it a good idea to take and use any urine left inside the bladder for future scent?

Thank you.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:31 PM

your scent is ok. mine stinks pretty bad too. i usually keep them in teh mini fridge in teh basement to keep from grossing my mom out. i wouldnt worry about your scent too bad, it should be fine. i'd be lying to you if i told you anything about using whizz from the bladder. better ask an expert.

slayer