Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting tips/help plz?

Old 10-28-2004, 12:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Shooting tips/help plz?

So, ill try and make this quick. I have been hunting for three years and more or less get something every year. They arent all trophys, but they satisfy me. i do not need help finding the big deer. What I need help with is shooting. I usually make my shots without much problem, out to 200 yards. But although I make these shots they are not where I want them, often high, low, back or front of where I aim. I shoot a 7mm-08 for deer and a .300 mag for anything bigger. I want to be comfortable shooting out to 400 yards and out to 200 yards for running shots. I know many people will tell me "practice makes perfect" and i absoultly beleive this works, but there has to be a method, or tips, a website, maybe a BOOK? anything would help as I want to practice this off season extensivly and go into next hunting season with a very lethal and confident shot.

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Shooting tips/help plz?

I would forget the running shots unless you are shooting a shotgun at deer under 45 yards. You will have more gut shot or wounded deer than you will clean kills trying to shoot running deer.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:44 PM

JMO. . . .But. . . First. . .shoot only at animals that aren't running around, patients, sorry. Next, learn good breath and trigger control. Practice. . . . Practice . . . . Practice.[8D]
Old 10-28-2004, 11:24 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks so far, not shooting at running deer isnt a luxurary I always have especially on my trips to sask where 90% of my shots ar running. but regardless thanks anyways.
Anything else guys? Im tryin to get as much info as possible to write away!
Old 10-28-2004, 11:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Aim small miss small. Just like in the movies. A shooting instructer once told me to pick a spot to aim for. Then pick a hair in the spot I aim for. then aim for the center of the hair. Thats not possible most of the time but the message is to consintrate on that spot and nothing else. Clear your mind of everything else. Sort of look the bullet home. Next would come confidence which only can be gained by a lot of shooting. You must get to the point where you can know where that bullet will hit every time. You may not be able to avoid running shots but learn first to hit the standing shot. A miss by several inches on a still target can turn into a miss by several feet on a running target. Good hunting
Old 10-29-2004, 12:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Since I live in Saskatchewan I find the claim that no running shots are not a luxury you have on 90% of your shots a bit odd. I have not taken a running shot on any game for a number years, so it is very much possible. I would say you should look at working on your hunting style vs just shooting. My guess is your trips to Saskatchewan are filled with deer drives(pushing bush) or driving the road in low light conditions. We have all tried this here but I think your shorting yourself by missing a great part of the hunt. Just a suggestion!

Seek the help of a instructor to watch, teach and help you with every aspect of shooting. A video, book or some one typing may help you with understand certain things but it won't tell you where you need additional work. After that practice, practice and more of the same. Practice how you will hunt not just bench rest style, shoot the distance you will hunt with not assume and be honest in your abilities. Set goals, once attained revamp and so on. Slow down, acquire the target, pick the spot and aim for that spot. Squeeze the trigger not pull and follow through (don't drop or raise the rifle after you squeeze the trigger).
Old 10-29-2004, 01:02 AM
Typical Buck

#1, I never, NEVER shoot at running deer. If they know I'm there and all ready running I figure they've already whipped me at the game I like to play, it's called "hunting". Walking through the woods shooting at what ever jumps up is "rabbit" hunting at best, IMO.

#2, get closer. If you can't put the first shot, every day in to a soft ball on the target range, you are too far away. Not the second shot, third shot or best group. I mean only the very first time you pull the trigger of the day. That's the money shot, every thing else is just practice. Live targets and open terrain don't make it easier than it's ever going to be on a range.

#3, get a range finder. I bet you are going to be surprised at what those distances really are. I'd bet 75% of missed shots in the wild go over the top.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:52 AM

I use a 20 oz plastic pop bottle and I practiced continuosly I shoot at the bottle at 100,150 and 200 yards i am consistant with my shots, as far as shooting at running deer Thats the only choice I have as I am disabled and cant get in to the woods so I set up near the woods and shoot at deer that are scared out by other hunters, I forgot to mention that I on have access to public land and so far I have been very fortunate that every deer I have shot has went down on the spot bu I always bring some one to track for me if I get that runner. I have managed to get a deer every season so far. Lots of practice at varying distances until you know your gun so well that you know if you can make the shot or not. my gun has become my right hand so to speak and I know what it can and cant do. Wityh me behind the trigger! Good Luck buddy!
Old 10-29-2004, 06:29 AM

You need to practice shooting more so your group will tighten up. Sounds as if you have a combination of no breath control (up-down shots) flinching (shots to the right) and bucking the shot ( throwing your shoulder into the rifle as you pull the trigger)
That is usually caused by trying to be Mr. Macho shooting a gun that is kicking your ass and not having the ass to take the recoil. Get a smaller caliber and work out your bad habits.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can read all that you want but it comes down to knowing your gun and hours of practise on a regular basis.If you want to be able to accurately place bullets at 400 yards you will have to shoot regularly at all distances out to 400 yards.This will require a lot of time and ammunition but you simply can't develop and maintain long distance shooting skills any other way.Shooting a few boxes of ammunition per year is not going to do it no matter how much you read and how many tips people give you.If you are really serious about this ,expect to fire at least a couple of hundred rounds out of your deer rifle per year practising.

Quick Reply: Shooting tips/help plz?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.