Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What are were these kids thinking? >

What are were these kids thinking?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What are were these kids thinking?

Old 10-20-2004, 07:57 PM

Default What are were these kids thinking?

Heard from the neighbors that the night before theee were several shots made at night in the field that is part of our hunting area. The neighbor went to investigate and encountered 2 kids (about 16-17 yr old) in the field with a large doe down. When the neighbor questioned them they said they had a crop damage permit. The neighbor knowing better and knowing who owned the land said that that wasn'possible. The kids quickly drove off in their truck tearing up the alfalfa field. He didn't get a tag number. He did say he saw they had a pistol that they used. My father-in-law went to look for the doe and said the deer had been shot several time including its front legs blown off. This makes me irate that these two kids drove up and had their headlights on this deer while they got out and unloaded on it. Call me a softy but thats just upsets me. I hope that I don't run in to these kids since I know the make model and color of the vehicle. But if they are carrying a handgun around, that causes me concern too.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What are were these kids thinking?

I hate hearing about things like that. Makes me sick. If you do see the car call the cops. The last thing you want is to be looking down the barrel of a pistol in a panicked kids hand! Let the cops catch them with the gun!....Be safe...Jim
Old 10-20-2004, 08:28 PM

Not only is it sad to see the animal treated like that, but this is exactly the kind of crap that makes farmers not allow people to hunt their land. I hope they get caught.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last I knew it's also illegal for them to have a handgun unless they've got a reason to or are under adult supervison, and I'm not believing they'll get off on "I'm hunting", or "I'm target practicing" at night.

I would report them, and then if you see them, I'd tail them and call the cops on my cell (from a safe distance). I almost always have a gun with me as well, so if they wanted to MAKE ME RETALIATE, I'd be obliged to do so. I've got a feeling I'm a little more skilled with my arm than the punk kids, but I'd largely try to avoid such a situation.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

The punishment for crap like that used to be a slap on the wrist here in TX ($500 fine). Poaching was common because even getting caught was cheaper than buying a lease. Texas Parks and Wildlife finally made a change. Now you can spend more time in jail for shooting a deer than stealing a car. The state takes your vehicle, mandatory six months to two years in the pen, and fines that can exceed $20,000.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

When dad had the farm and this happened he would shoot back,word got around and the crap stopped real quick
Old 10-21-2004, 06:18 AM

I hope that they find those punks. This is the type of thing that gets those anti-hunters going. If they are capable of doing this now, what kind of hunters would they be later? And, they need more than just a slap on the wrist. I would definately keep a watch out for their vehicle and call the cops if I were to see them again.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:27 AM

There no excuse for the way those punks did in that deer, just pure ignorance and stupidity. People like that need to pay the price for their foolish deeds. Take about 5 years of their freedom and Id bet they wouldnt do it again plus the fact that they would never be able to own a gun again should really teach em.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:35 AM

Call me a softy
You're not a softy. You're an ethical, humane hunter with a sense of decency.

These kids should be severely punished, not just for poaching but for cruelty for animals.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Watch the movie WALKING TALL, with the ROCK in it, and that will get you motivated!!

Quick Reply: What are were these kids thinking?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.