Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Field Dressing Questions

Old 10-17-2004, 09:52 AM

Default Field Dressing Questions

Good Morning All!

I have harvested two bucks in recent hunts that I have some questions about, or wonder if anyone else has encountered similar circumstances.

Both of the bucks were probably close to three years of age. When harvested their general behavior seemed normal and gave no indication that there might be anything wrong with them other than being "unlucky" at that particular moment.

During field dressing both of these bucks we discovered several "nodules"
that did not look like they were normal parts of the bucks intestinal anatomy. To describe the "nodules", this is what we saw.

All along the spine of both bucks there were very dark round looking growths that strongly resembled "rabbit turds". The growths, or "nodules" were embedded in the fat and attached to the muscle tissues of both animals. Additionally, there were other nodules scattered throughout the internal organs of both deer. One of the animals had absolutely no muscule, or fat, attached to the interior portion of the spinal column and the loins seemed somewhat small considering the "normal" size and development of the deer in general.

The bucks were harvested from the same timber at approximately the same time of the year, in two separate years. So, they probably had a very similiar if not the same diet. Both were harvested in southern Iowa.

My questions: 1) Have any other hunters encountered something like this; 2) If so did you process the meat; 3) What could be either the source or cause of the nodules.

I would appreciate your comments and may be able to provide additional details if needed.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2004, 10:31 AM

Default RE: Field Dressing Questions

I cant be sure and you should have it checked out, we have a problem here with cwd and what you describe sounds similar to what we were told to watch for when butchering. Be careful!
Old 10-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have field dressed a lot of deer and I can't say that I have ever noticed the things you are refering to. It would be a good Idea to have a Game and fish officer check it out. Good Hunting.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:55 PM

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...905---,00.html

lucky go to the bottom of the page right hand side under related recourses and click on lymph nodes and hemal nodes i believe what you are describeing is hemal nodes they arent harmful from what i have read hope this helps

larry
Old 10-18-2004, 07:49 AM

Thanks Deadshot!

I reviewed the website link that you suggested and am cofortable with the belief that I have probably encountered "Hemal Nodes". I appreciate your willingness to assist here! Have a good hunt!
Old 10-18-2004, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've noticed them a few times and the meat tasted great.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:49 PM

lucky you are very welcome that is the great thing about this site most times we all try and help one another, by the way welcome to the site theres a great bunch of people here just gotta watch out for a few of them and dont ever mention blue undies
Old 10-19-2004, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lucky,
Don't know where you live,but I would call your local or state office of Fish and Wildlife. If their worth a hoot they will be happy to answer your question,and should have the answer.

In slower lower Delaware F&W will answer any question you throw at them.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:49 PM

i'm glad deadshot helped you out because i was beginning to think of another source..........isn't iowa where there has been numerous crop circle sightings??? lol