Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Smokin', Chewin', pissin', pukn', Buck killin' machines! >

Smokin', Chewin', pissin', pukn', Buck killin' machines!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Smokin', Chewin', pissin', pukn', Buck killin' machines!

Old 10-15-2004, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Smokin', Chewin', pissin', pukn', Buck killin' machines!

haha
Old 10-15-2004, 12:56 PM

ORIGINAL: phishook

I'm starting to get as little discouraged! Been hunting 5 yrs now, and havn't got a buck. I'm always carefull to hunt down wind, camo head to toe, use the scents in moderation, and sit still as a rock.
I know what you mean, but it may just be that you're not hunting in the right spots. Last year was my first season bowhunting and I did everything by the book, scent free, playing the wind, etc. I hunted 3-4 days a week from the opener in Sept through the end of the season in Dec. and only saw two deer, a pair that went bounding across in front of me at about 40 yards-- never had a shot.

This year I did all the same things, but in a completely different area. I had a deer cross just out of range on opening morning, and dropped my first (small) bow buck in the second week of the season-- just about the same time I was starting to think I was just plain bad at deer hunting.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:04 PM

Great post title

Do you scout pre season or just hit the woods once the season opens up? Alot can be said for being in the right place and staying there. If you're down wind from the deer you could roll in doggie do and they won't wind you. If you haven't scouted in past years go out with a notebook in the early winter when the snow starts to fly. make note of travel lanes and hunt off those on the down wind side.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your just there to kill a deer...................u are already in the wrong
You can spend the price you pay to cut up a deer at the grocery store and put far more groceries in your home than a single deer. My buddy and i just killed a deer last sunday when we was sitting on our buckets in a brush blind and i had a muscle shirt, a pair of jeans and a chew in with my staw hat on when he dropped her with one shot.....You are taking this all wrong, got out and have fun..................its all about the time you spend in the woods.
Here is the pic, u dont need to be in full camo to kill a deer rather big or small, deer are deer.

Old 10-15-2004, 04:48 PM

Big One!
Old 10-15-2004, 05:40 PM

i didn't see anything on your post about scouting. you should try spending more time in the woods in the offseason. find out what their rutines are, if your doing everything you say your doing with proper scouting you should do fine.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:20 PM

Normally I get out and scout late Aug on. Been passing on doe left and right waiting for the boys to come out.

This year I'm going to get the doe out of the way early. Then light a big Cuban up and wait....
Old 10-15-2004, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

It could jus be theres not many deer there

Like here in randolph counnty NC theres only 1.58 Bucks per square mile,

Just Keep up the faith and move your stand and it will happen
Old 10-16-2004, 12:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sure luck plays a part for both good and not so good hunters, however the key is just like buying a house LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION! Your seeing deer so you have some of the right location but I would hazard a guess your situated in a spot that is not desirable for bucks to move under light situations(this could be large open area that they feel unsecure, it could be they are bedding or feeding elsewhere at this point, etc). Now with the rut coming one could argue that in time eventually a buck or two will be in tow. While I agree, I also know hanging my hat on the feast or famine of the beloved "RUT" would not lead to much annual success either. First let me explain while like any hunter the "Rut or Call" is what we dream about and when it happens it is a wonderful thing but in all honesty I have never hung my hopes on this magical time for things are way out of my control. Instead I focus my attention (aka scouting) on finding spots that will produce in pre rut, rut and post rut situations which maximizes my chances regardless of what stage of breeding they are in! How I do this is scout, which for me is pretty much a whole year thing. I scout while I hunt, after season close, while shed hunting, spring and summer. I am not saying everday just keep tabs, do walks when it won't effect your hunting plans, make metal note and pictures...basically try to pin point the essentials to the deers life in the area. This means Food, Water, Cover and Routes...while doing this you will find other pointers such as rubs, scrapes, trails, intersects, funnels, bottlenecks, draws, ridges, stage areas (like meadows or swamps in the bush), etc. What it all amounts to is a map of how they transition between these stages in their daily routines. Once you have this portion completed you can choose location based on wind direction. For me hunting bucks equals transition areas, areas where they have cover, feel safe and move freely during daylight hours. I set up differently in each phase of breeding as the bucks routines change, first in early bow season the bach'd and pretty much normal - during this time I will hunt trials that lead to food, shadow areas near or around food. As pre rut begins and they start sparing I move deeper if possible finding staging areas such as a meadow or structure that forces bucks to an area while still in cover. Close to rut and full blown rut I start getting more agressive and closer to the actual bedding areas. In these areas I start hunting sign(rublines, scrapes) or similar structure like a funnel, draw or bottleneck. I will also employ techniques such as rattling during later pre rut through early post rut to entice bucks. Basically moving with the bucks through their stages based on the activity levels according to my scouting/knowledge. Please note this is how I hunt and I am not suggesting it should be how you or anybody else hunts, but simply trying to say maybe look for alternatives to keep slugging along.

The next element I may suggest is be prepared but not expecting, I don't think you can honestly try to hard at many things in life but you can out think yourself in almost anything. I am subject to it myself the will I or should I's creep in but instead of weighing on the arrow release or the trigger pull I look for small positives I can take out of each hunt. To coin a line from the movies "baby steps"..but it is all about keeping a positive frame and realizing the accomplishments. Afterall it is never a bad thing to learn something and if you use it...becomes knowledge.

Best of luck keep your head up and don't worry about what slob may happen across something...he is missing the fun part of the hunt!
Old 10-16-2004, 12:18 AM

Hey dude i live in valpo,washington township i cant belive you havent taken a deer yet,there a dime a doz out were you are..Are you hunting privet,or public???I can tell you were to go at j.p and you will see bucks all over you just got to walk for them..I hunt at least 1 mile or more from my truck but there are ways to drive to a spot to pick up a deer..Wright know hunt field edges were deer trails come from the woods to the field.Preferd food right now is alfala.Also on the field edge find a scrapline and hunt it the deer are starting to make them now,you will see a lot of them showing up in places were there wasent any scraps there yesterday.I hunted thursday in the rain and @ 5:30pm a 6 pointer came out of the woods 20yds from my stand and made a small scrap in front of a oak tree I watched him do it,good luck

Quick Reply: Smokin', Chewin', pissin', pukn', Buck killin' machines!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.