Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

food in treestand

Old 10-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: food in treestand

I bring plenty of carbs like PB&J sandwiches and cookies to help me stay warm and awake along with fruit and sometimes applejuice . Many folks avoid carbs to stay on their idiotic Atkins or South Beach diets , these are the same folks you see leaving the field with their teeth chattering and no energy to climb because they didn't stoke their metabolic furnace .

In the hilly terrain that I hunt cutting carbs is a very bad idea since you'll run out of steam by the time you climb the second or third hill . It's also a bad idea when hunting in very cold wether since your body won't have the fuel to produce heat for you . All the insulation in the world won't keep you warm if your body isn't producing surplus heat from carbs .
Old 10-14-2004, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

I thought I was the only one that took PB&J, love that stuff. Add some bottled water and and some munch bars I'm good for the day.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:55 PM

I keep water, jerky, candy bars in my blind. I keep the food in a sealed ammo can.

Old 10-15-2004, 01:54 PM

Ok,.. I'm suprised too,.... about the softdrinks.

I for one will take a "DEW' or two out with me if I plan on a all day'er !! Along with a couple snickers bars, Honey-granola bar, "coffee-nips" hard candies, and some venison jerkey. Once I get in my spot I don't want to leave for the day just because I get hungry.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well if its cold, ill bring a mre (meal ready to eat) have tons of em from my time in the marines. Other times i might not bring anything, sometimes just candy and water, always water no matter what. My buddy eric seems to bring everything in the fridge when he hunts then i just eat what he has. When its early season me and my uncle will go to higginsport for a bite to eat at a lil county restaurant, and then get back to the stand for a evening hunt. But when i have jerky that is just a great snack to have...........eating what your hunting at that time, just chilling!
Old 10-15-2004, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I too am a carb carrier: PBJ's, Cereal Bars, Fruit are standard issue foods for my hunting trips. I sometimes take jerky or pep sticks but that stays in the truck for moving time (changing location and always driving home or to camp). I only drink water and if really cold I may add a small thermos of hot water or chicken soup.

Water can be rationed, small sips means less void less void means less loss of body heat. While I love soda pops & coffee the caffine causes me to void more and is a lot tougher to ration because a small sip rarely does anything to quench my thirst or wet the whistle. The heavy sugar content is another reason I avoid soda while hunting.

In the morning I have one cup of instant decaf(yes yuk!), a glass of milk, hot oatmeal and a banana for the road.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: DearSlayer357

Carbonation makes you colder on cold days as does caffine, like coffee.
Actually carbonation has nothing to do with makng your body colder, it just makes water colored brown taste better. Also, Caffeine is a vasoconstricter, thus your making your body's core temp stay higher longer.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:34 PM

I always take out a PB&J or a liverwurst and mustard sandwich. Hard candy, I'm addicted to the Lifesavers Creme Savers, Strawberries & Creme. These I unwrap before I go out and put the in a ziplock baggie. And I always take a Dew with me. I'm good for the day.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Can the deer smell the food? if so will it effect them? If you drink water in a stand planning on staying all day. What about going to the bathroom? you don't want that scent there ?
Old 11-02-2004, 08:34 PM

I take banana nut bread or blueberry muffins with me and always some deer jerky. Also I like to carry any kind of dried fruit. And always water. But when it is cold I have to have my coffee.

Quick Reply: food in treestand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.