Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would you take this shot?

Old 10-11-2004, 06:21 PM

Default Would you take this shot?

If you have the "buck of a life time" following a trail walking directly toward you and you know he'll detect you as he gets closer, would you take the frontal shot (chest) if thats all it offered? The rifle is a .243 Win

Based on our set-up and the pattern of the deer, my son may be faceed with this scenario opening day. My .30-06 would have no problem. I just don't know if the .243 will do the job from this angle.

What are your thoughts?
Old 10-11-2004, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you take this shot?

with out a doubt I would, and have using the .243, but i personnaly would bust him through the neck instead.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

If it is a clear shot, I wouldn't hesitat to take the shot. I've shot a number of deer straight on with my .270 and I don't think the .243 would have any trouble making a lethal shot on a deer from the front.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:31 PM

Like zrex, I'd take the neck shot.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Is this your son's first hunt? He may be an excellent shot at the range but, could perhaps get buckfever when he has his first shot? I shoot a 30.06 and would not trust a .243 as that is not my gun of choice. A walking buck is much different than a still broadshot target with any firearm. If he knows the gun and how he shoots.....perhaps talk with him about what his instincts would direct him to do ie: where to shoot, etc. Good mental practice is half of the battle. If he has good instincts and knows his firearm, he should have no problem hopefully.

Zrex, Until last year I thought neck shots were marginal at best, and actually they are NOT the shot for inexperienced shooters!! One must be very comfortable with how they shoot and what they shoot to make it very quick and clean. No Doubt About It.....JMHO.

My buck 8pt 2003 season afforded me a neck shot, his number was up pure and simple. One shot, one kill and he was down for the count. Lucky? I am not sure...What I am sure of is my shooting ablility, but just do not like a neck shot/moving shot unless I have an option that I am sure of.....and unless certain would never take a neck shot as there is way to much margin for error with inexperienced shooters/hunters. I prefer the boiler room for my shots, heart shots at that. Although a buck can run for a bit at times with a heart shot too. I have seen it happen one time, it boggled my mind. Go figure how they do it. What an exceptional instinct to survive Whitetails have........
Old 10-11-2004, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

The straight on neck shot is the easiest shot if your going for the neck, shoot low you still hit neck shoot really low and you hit center of the chest, it's no smaller of a target than the center of the chest as he's looking at you, if you hit a little to the left or right chances it will be a clean miss, if that happens when aiming at the center of the chest your gonna hit one of the shoulders and never recover him, even if hit with an .06.
I have no problem hitting a 50 cent piece at 200 yds so a neck shot at a 100 is nothing, i think you owe it to your game to practice all you can and be very confident in your shots. It's really up to the one pulling the trigger, if you know you can do it go for it, if not pass the shot and hope he turns and gives you a lung shot . I for one will take it, and prefer it. I have been taking neck shots for around 25 years all with the .243 and never have lost a deer, and never had to track one from a neck shot. It's not the only shot I take but is about 85% of the time. It is not a marginal shot, it is the best and most humane way to harvest a deer.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Zrex, Hey my dad was a retired Full Bird and taught me to shoot at a very young age. Respectfully, would you not agree that this is not a shot for everyone? It takes an accomplished shooter, and one that is exceedingly familier with their weapon of choice to pull off shots like this? To the point where it has become second instinct. My one and only neckshot was on instinct alone.....not to mention years and years of range time, practice and hunting. Just curious on your viewpoint..... Thanks.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

As you mentioned a buck of a lifetime. Hmmm I'm curious does a hugh racked animal deserve anything less than you'd give any other animal on a ethical shot? Not saying for some hunters and shooters outthere that a frontal shot is not ethnical, but what I am saying is for a hunter with probally less than ten deer under his belt I would instruct him to wait till the day his confidence level gives him 99% capability of making that shot clean.

I'm not in the president's 100 marksman but I can pick and choose shots. And sometimes things happen and 3 inch boo boo on a thin chested whitetail can mean a buck of a lifetime died all alone in the woods with no one to praise his beauty. I say it can be done 99% of the time with a person with lots of experience. But after all these years with clients I'd honestly have to say the average hunter outthere has only a 25% chance of killing the deer clean. Most can't even do this on a elk size game animal. I believe there's some people on this site that could do it everytime. Just not a great shot for a younger hunter. Patience will be rewarded.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

No. Maybe with a 270 or my 6.5x55.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

And sometimes things happen and 3 inch boo boo on a thin chested whitetail can mean a buck of a lifetime died all alone in the woods with no one to praise his beauty. I say it can be done 99% of the time with a person with lots of experience.
Amen!
Thank you Cherokee Outfitters for your viewpoint, that is my view exactly and what I wanted to point out. The animals that we hunt deserve not only respect, but JMO a prayer for their spirit, and a quick clean kill.
Just not a great shot for a younger hunter. Patience will be rewarded.

Quick Reply: Would you take this shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.