Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

?? about coffee can heater

Old 10-10-2004, 05:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default ?? about coffee can heater

last week there was a discussion about a coffee can heater using toilet paper roll and alcohol. ? do you just saturate the roll or fill up the can with alcohol and how do you shut it down if you want to????????
Old 10-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: ?? about coffee can heater

You just let the roll absord as much alcohol as it possible will and when you want to put it out just place something over the top and smother the flame out. It doessn't burn real hot, but will give off appreciable heat.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:34 PM

Also, would yu use a used roll, like half left or a new roll?
Old 10-10-2004, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ir655...NEVER, and I repeat NEVER do anything with used toilet paper.

Didn't your momma teach you anything???
Old 10-10-2004, 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Pro-Line

ir655...NEVER, and I repeat NEVER do anything with used toilet paper.

Didn't your momma teach you anything???
LMAO at Pro-Line, you know what I meant! A full roll seems like an aweful lot of paper dipped in alcohol...
Old 10-10-2004, 11:13 PM

You use a full roll. The paper doesnt burn but acts like a wick. Make sure the roll is saturated good. I have found that the cheaper the paper the better it works. Some of the rolls that are double rolls dont work well. You want one that is kinda lose on the roll. that is why i said use the cheap ones. To put the flame out either blow it out or put some thing over it. Aluminum foil works well. I just fold some and put it in the inside of my can lid. This keeps the plastic from melting.

Old 10-11-2004, 04:32 AM

Do you get an initial "flash" of fire from the alcohol fumes when you first light the roll? I ask this because I don't want my Ameristep Outhouse blind catching on fire while I'm trying to ignite this "coffee can toliette paper heater thingie". Probably is maybe better to light it immediately outside the blind, huh?

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 10-11-2004, 11:03 AM

Buy a Coleman Sportcat, safer and quiet I have one in by blind and one in my outhouse. http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...ategoryid=3000
Old 10-11-2004, 11:42 AM

Actually, I do have a catalytic propane heater. I'm just intrigued by this backwoods sort of coffee can heater device. When I was in Desert Storm back in '91, we used to mix diesel and sand together in a coffee can, then ignite it to heat up water or whatever. Was very sooty though.

I had an alcohol stove on my boat once. That 'lil stove was a hot little burning device...

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 10-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy a Coleman Sportcat, safer and quiet I have one in by blind and one in my outhouse
I agree, i use to use one with my uncle and boy did it stink up the place, now we use the sport cat heaters, we both have one. they work great.

Quick Reply: ?? about coffee can heater

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.