Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ground Blind Question

Old 10-03-2004, 06:21 PM

Default Ground Blind Question

This will be my sons first year deer hunting. I have two spots picked out. The first has a ladder stand set-up. The second, I plan to use a ground Blind (tent) I bought at BassPro. My question is, should I put it out a week before we starting hunting so the deer get used to it, or can I set-it up a day or two before the hunt? Or will it spook the deer?

If you have any other tips for using one of these ground blind tents - I'm all ears (eyes in this case)
Old 10-03-2004, 07:21 PM

Default RE: Ground Blind Question

i have a popup ground blind that i have used many times. while i have never noticed that it spooked the deer into running they are very cautious around it. if you could put it out a few days before would help. i have also put mine out and put branches with leaves and such around it to make it appear to be a clump of bushes or something more common to the deer.
hope your son has a great time. i remember when i took both my sons for the first time. its a great experience for the both of us.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Dominant Buck

One important thing to consider is your background ,
put a marker where you plan to set up and look at the marker from all angles , especially probable deer entry routes . A tangled background works well with all blind patterns , avoid grassy backgrounds like open fields .

Once you have the blind set up lean some branches that have some leaves on them against the sides of the blind , make it blend into the area so that it doesn't look out of place . Have some sort of cover on all sides if you can .

I've set mine up blind many times just to have some cover , and it didn't seem to bother the deer . Most just looked in it's general direction without any sign of alarm .
Old 10-04-2004, 06:34 PM

i have the outhouse blind from ameristep and was wandering if it would be alright to bowhunt out of.do you think scent would be a problem even if you have applied to scent killer to your clothes?
Old 10-05-2004, 12:06 AM

eddie i have the outhouse blind as well and i bow hunt out of it. use some cover scent and it they will get close enough.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:26 AM

it normally takes the deer more than a few days to get used to a ground blind.i set mine up 2 weeks before the season started.about the middle of the second week they started coming around.now 3 weeks later they are still very nervous. they notice the outline more than the color being as they are color blind.it also takes a while for the material to lose its smell .
Old 10-05-2004, 04:59 AM

How do you all bowhunt out of the Outhouse blind? There's practically no room in it to draw. I have one, had set it up, and it was very difficult to bowhunt from.

Interested in any tricks.

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 10-05-2004, 06:12 AM
Dominant Buck

You pretty much have to leave the door open in order to have enough room to draw , I kept slapping the top of the blind with my upper limb until I did that with mine .
Old 10-05-2004, 10:03 AM

I shot a doe this sun out of my blind. Ihave the doghouse. To draw, I just angle towards the corner. Once I'm back i have room to aim out the window. I did this with my g/f in thhe blind w/ me video taping.
I don't think I would leave the back door open. I would be afraid that the deer would be able to see me inside. Another tip is to wear black. Its alot harder to see inside. BTW I shoot through the shoot through window with no problems.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:59 AM

Ground blinds are great tools to hunt deer with. As far as if they spook deer, I have not seen that. I have set mine up the day before and taken deer out of it the next day.
I set up as close to the tree line as I can overlooking an open area. Deer have looked right at me and do not seem to detect anything at all.I use the outhouse blind, but also have used ground blinds using three or four metal posts with camo burlap stretched across them with natural brush against that and taken deer as well. I don't care for high places so ground blinds are very comfortable to me. I have taken all or most of my deer from the ground and that would include a 160 class, 140 class etc. bucks.
hay bales are good material to make a blind out of as well.
Put a little coon urine cover scent but don't over do it on the frnt and sides around the blind, just a few drops. then get to hunting. I rattle and grunt as well from my blinds.
Good luck!!

Quick Reply: Ground Blind Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.