Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

big enough or one more year??

Old 10-04-2004, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: big enough or one more year??

shoot him!! i would definitely take that buck. But it depends on the quality of your deer, and the number of hunters. I wouldnt pass on him because the next day a neighbor would shoot him, and id be eating my tag.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Where i hunt i usually see a lot of that sized deer, so id give him some time to grow up a lil bit more, but he isnt a bad deer at all.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would take him i think...guess it would depend mainly what kind of mood i was in that day...if i didn;'t shoot him someone else would.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:44 PM

depends if you want a big trophy or a really nice deer
Old 10-16-2004, 09:34 PM

I have to agree with Dave H... He's plenty big enough that if I let him pass, he'll get waxed by anther neighbor... It all depends on the size of your hunting ground and the liklihood that you'll see him again someday.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:46 PM

ORIGINAL: luckyone

There are 3 rifle hunters and 2 other bow hunters in the same section. I don't know who they are, but there is a fair amount of pressure all over this area anyway. I would say he has a 50-50 chance of making it through the year. Our area is about 80 acres of trees and 220 of beans and long grass. I am going to let him walk and hope he makes it. If someone isn't willing to let deer this size go, we will never get any real big ones...
In that case Id take him if the opportunity arises.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:27 PM

Yeah, with the other hunters around I'd take him. If I saw him where we hunt in MN, I'd take him. But if I was over in WI with my brother in law, I'd let him go. Depends where you are and the size of the deer.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:51 PM

if i didn;'t shoot him someone else would.
He's plenty big enough that if I let him pass, he'll get waxed by anther neighbor...

Those are such poor excuses......[:'(]

Some of you guys make it sound like the only reason you would/do shoot a buck is because your so afraid your neighbor might kill him before you do. You make it sound like you dont consider this buck a trophy but you would kill him any way just so your neighbor cant. Thats such a sorry way to think. Bucks in some states are never going to see 2 winters.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Luckyone, I agree with your decision to let him walk.

I would let him walk, but that is because of where my goals lie. For me to shoot a buck, it has to be a monster. Not everyone I hunt around would let a deer like this go, but I feel like someone's gotta start somewhere. You might try to visit with the other hunters if you get a chance, and make a gentleman's agreement to let younger deer go. You don't have anything to lose, and they probably share the same concerns when letting a deer walk that you do.

Many hunters would probably shoot this deer, using the logic that if they don't shoot him, someone else will. IMHO, the probabilty that someone else will not do their part to manage the resource is in no way an excuse for me to do the same.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

You make it sound like you dont consider this buck a trophy but you would kill him any way just so your neighbor cant.
i think that way not because i don't want my neighbor to shoot him, but i don't see the point in "letting a buck grow" when he will get shot the next day. Around my area if i don't shoot a buck when given the oppurtunity, i am not going to get another oppurtunity when he is bigger.

And that deer is big for my area, so i would take him if i were given the chance, regardless of whether another hunter will shoot him if I don't. I am not a trophy hunter, i hunt for the meat and experience, not the bragging rights.

Quick Reply: big enough or one more year??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.