Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Mixed feelings about going hunting with my brother >

Mixed feelings about going hunting with my brother

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mixed feelings about going hunting with my brother

Old 09-29-2004, 09:48 AM

Default Mixed feelings about going hunting with my brother

I have been hunting for about 4-5 years now. It is something I really enjoy doing when I have the time and nothing beats the taste of fresh game.

My younger brother wants to start hunting this year. He is set up to take his safety class in October and should be legal right after. He wants to come hunting with me around Thanksgiving.

My dilema: On one hand I love to hunt and I imagine that he would love to hunt. He has always had the same respect for nature and wildlife that we all grew up with. But, for me hunting is (or has been) a solitary passion and my pursuit of game has also been a time of introspection and communion with my inner self. (I sound all New Agey, don't I? Yikes!) But I am sure you all have felt the same way on a beautiful morning in the woods.
Plus, he seems to think that I would just show him all of my hard-earned stand locations and set him up in some of my better spots. (I sound defensive, don't I?)

On the other hand, I would relish the opportunity to introduce another to the hunting lifestyle and teach him what I have learned about reading sign in the woods, shooting accurately for meat (very different than "hunting" for paper targets), dressing game, etc.

So, how should I handle this?

Chubber
Old 09-29-2004, 10:04 AM

Default RE: Mixed feelings about going hunting with my brother

Don't you think that its better for you to teach him the things he needs to know than someone who may not share the same respect for the sport. Take him to your hard earned hot spots. But, explain what makes them hot. Once he understands, help him find his own. As far as being alone, spend some time with him and when you are comfortable leaving him and going to another location he may enjoy the alone time also.

Some quality time spent with your brother will produce a quality hunter.

Good Luck!
Old 09-29-2004, 10:07 AM

man i understand what your sayin ....how old is your little brother?? i started taking my little brother when he was 10 he has a lot of respect for the game he hunts he wont shoot unless he has a god shot but i think u should just try it u will be glad u did.. well let me now what happens good luck
Old 09-29-2004, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

taking a younger person hunting is very rewarding, you may just get a bigger kick out of it than you think, and it is your brother, once he is comfortable hunting by himself, you'll be back to hunting on your own, no much to ask really is it, and its always good to have a hunting companion, in case you become injured, or to help drag that bigern out.

good luck
Old 09-29-2004, 10:55 AM

This is your opportunity to give back to the sport. You seem to get out of it just what the rest of us are looking for, that communion with nature. Why wouldn't you want to help someone else find that, particularly your own brother?

Teach him well, and it will reward you. You'll have a knowledgeable hunting partner when you want one, and someone to trade stories with even if you're both out on your own.

Good luck.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:56 AM

also, younger brothers look up to their older bros. I never had an older brother. However, my uncle was only 3 years older than me. We always went together and had a great time.

Heck, I can't wait until this weekend. I will be driving 3 hrs. just to go hunting for the weekend with him.

It could be a time you look back and say "Man I wished I would have..." or "Man that was an awesome time we had back when..."
Old 09-29-2004, 11:11 AM

My brother is six years younger then me i have been hunting with him since he was ten i use to take him on all the youth hunts it was a blast just sitting there watching someone else enjoying the outdoors we are alot older now and he still always talks about those days i am a hunting nut but you only get so many chances to share it with someone else.
TAKE HIM
Old 09-29-2004, 11:23 AM

I would set him (my brother who's never hunted) up on one of my stands and let him hunt it. I certainly would give him my best spot but if I took the time to hang the stand the spot is a good one.
Then next year I'd take a couple of extra scouting trips and go with your brother. Help him by showuing him what to look for. Get hi a book on scouting for Christmas or a birthday and then take him out and make him put it to use. Your brother just needs a bit of guidence. I wouldn't make a habbit of scouting for him but set him up on a couple of hunts this fall and then get him pointed in the right direction.

I wouldn't do this for just anyone but it's your brother
Old 09-29-2004, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do it.

You don't have to sit on top of each other. You can still be by yourself and enjoy that style of hunting. When you hear that shot coming from where he's hunting you'll be as excited as if you just shot one.

You may also be able to do things together you can't do alone, especially on days that are not condusive to stand hunting. For the short-term and minor inconvenience this may cause you, you'll definitely come out ahead in the long run.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

Well, I understand this perfectly. Hunting truly begins for me the very moment I kiss my wife goodbye as she sleeps. As I shower and get ready, I don't hum, don't say a word. My stuff is ready and loaded up. I leave, enter the woods and generally don't say a word until I get back later that night. During that entire time I usually experience some exquisite moments of real joy. So, I understand why you would not wish to ruin it by introducing someone else to the hunt.

The problem is, this makes it very difficult for new guys to break into the sport. I think we owe ourselves, the new guys and our American hunting heritage at least the relatively little time it takes to bring someone in and get them comfortable.

I did this years ago. There was a little guy. Wanted to hunt so badly he could taste it. So, one year I took him. It was very hard, very cold, but that little guy hung in there the whole time. It was awesome how that kid hung in there. We got nothing. But when we got back we both knew we had shared something very special. I continued taking the kid out, showing him things over the years, but mostly just letting him watch. I always stressed to him how important it was to cultivate the solitude of the thing - the quietness.

He is now 15, has taken many deer. On the morning of a hunt, we get up. I kiss my wife, his mother, goodbye as she sleeps; and I can hear the little guy already in the shower. He doesn't hum, doesn't say a word. Our stuff is ready and loaded up. We leave, enter the woods, he now to his stand and I to mine. Generally we don't say a word until we get back together later that night. During that entire time, especially after the hunt, we usually experience some exquisite moments of real joy.

Quick Reply: Mixed feelings about going hunting with my brother

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.