Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

spotlighting

Old 09-27-2004, 03:11 PM

Default spotlighting

Let me begin by stating I have never shot a deer at night. I'm posing this question to get some people thinking about the way we hunt deer and why.
Why is it illegal to spotlight on private property? I mean, if you buy a deer tag why can't you fill it by whatever means you see fit? Hunting is used to control populations so state agencies have a vested interest in seeing a certain number of deer taken, right? Also, when numbers get out of control that is the method used by contractors to thin the herd, along with baiting, night vision equipment and the like. I'd like to know everyone else's opinion on this, not the knee-jerk "it's just wrong".
Old 09-27-2004, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: spotlighting

Not very sporting is it.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:31 PM

Most of us call ourselves "sportsmen" we like the challenge of the hunt. We live and love the hunting life style and respect our beloved whitetailes. It's not about killing it's about being one with nature. Man against beast in his living room on his terms. Killing deer by blinding them with a spot light is not a sport or a challenge and is JUST WRONG.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well i see what your saying, but they give out so many tags because they know a percentage of them are not goin to tag a deer. plus i just think that its unsportsmans like to harvest a deer like that. i like to at least give the deer a fair chance thats why i will never hunt behind a fince either[:@]
Old 09-27-2004, 04:28 PM

Why is it illegal to spotlight on private property?
IMHO I don't think it would be safe. You can't see past your target, and that could be dangerous. What if someone was over on their property. Thats why so many states mandate Blaze orange. So you can see someone a long ways away.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with longrifle 1000. Safety should be the first concern and then there are the anti hunters out there. This would be fuel for their fire. Another thought is the whole concept of night hunting. I like to see what I'm shooting at and if I miss I'd like to know where the shot is going.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

Absolutely a fair chase issue. It's hunting not killing. DNR's base tag issues on established success rates. They know there is going to be a certain percentage left unfilled. Lengthening seasons, increasing tag availability, extra controlled hunts, muzzleloader seasons, shotgun only seasons, doe only hunts. These are all viable ways to reduce numbers without the safety issue of spotlighting. whiloe keeping fair chase principles.

Buying the tag gives you the privelage to exercise your right to hunt. It's not about filling the tag. It's about allowing you access to your right. If the only issue was to get people to shoot deer why have the tag system in the first place? Why have seasons? Just open 'er up to anyone. Once you think numbers are back in line, shut it down completely. This would accomplish the population control but would be the reverse on our right to hunt.

Turkeys have been re-populated through re-location by controlled netting of whole flocks. Here's one back to you: Is it reasonable to give us the ability to catch flocks of turkey this way, pick out the longbeard of choice and then let the rest go? Fills the turkey tag and doesn't hurt anybody? Sound fair?
Old 09-27-2004, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

While we're on this subject, I've heard that there is forensic evidence in a dead deer's eyes that will disclose whether or not it was shot while being spotlighted. Anyone else heard of this?
Old 09-27-2004, 06:00 PM

ORIGINAL: tennhunter

While we're on this subject, I've heard that there is forensic evidence in a dead deer's eyes that will disclose whether or not it was shot while being spotlighted. Anyone else heard of this?
Very interesting, any hard facts on this one?
Old 09-27-2004, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

It may be possible that the deer's eyes have small pupils after being shot with a spotlight. At night, a deer's pupil's enlarge to gather more light. If a deer is shined with a spotlight, their eyes try to focus and their pupils must get smaller to be able to see without being blinded so badly. It's like nightvision goggles, too much light and you can't see. Since the deer have nightvision already installed they just need to tune it down when they get shined.....Maybe? I dunno..Just a thought..I have a hard time explaining my thoughts [&:] lol

Quick Reply: spotlighting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.