Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Blondie

Old 09-26-2004, 05:54 PM

Default Blondie

this is a 2nd year buck...Blondie.....not as big as Hot Shot....bigger than Danny...

His coat is lighter than the rest of the deer, probably because of genetics....

Racks are lighter because they have been in the sun constantly.
Darker racks mean that the deer hasn't been exposed to the sun a lot.
Bigger bucks who hide deeper into the woods/shade will have darker racks.

Old 09-26-2004, 06:02 PM

Default RE: Blondie

Impressive! How high is the fence around them?
Old 09-26-2004, 06:30 PM

10' fences...They don't attempt to get out. Wild bucks try to get in though. They smell the females during rut, and are attracted to them.
All of our deer will probably be here till they die of old age. We don't plan on selling any of them.
A friend of ours has one that is about 15 years old. His name is "Flag"...just like in the movie...The Yearling.
Flag is a big baby, but, the owner doesn't go into the pen with him during rut. The bucks that aren't afraid of humans can pose the most danger.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:55 PM

Thanks sunset,

That being said, do you cut the antlers off before the rut kicks in and to protect them from being stuck in the fence. Or have you had no problems with them at all? Reason I ask is because this lady here in NC has a farm and she cuts her buck's antlers off. She said they can get it caught in the fence and break their neck, plus hurt eachother during the rut!
Old 09-27-2004, 01:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

At least you can see a deer when ever you want. Thanks for the pics
Old 09-27-2004, 08:23 AM

ORIGINAL: cardeer

At least you can see a deer when ever you want. Thanks for the pics
you're welcome

Thanks sunset,

That being said, do you cut the antlers off before the rut kicks in and to protect them from being stuck in the fence. Or have you had no problems with them at all? Reason I ask is because this lady here in NC has a farm and she cuts her buck's antlers off. She said they can get it caught in the fence and break their neck, plus hurt eachother during the rut!
The bucks inside the fence haven't been too aggressive toward each other. We will separate them if they get too aggressive. I guess they have enough room to find their own space.
And, if a buck tries to fight with them from the outside, I guess they eventually walk away. We haven't had any get stuck in a fence yet. If we do, we will probably cut their racks off to prevent further damage to them. .....good point ir655