Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Question ????

Old 09-21-2004, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Default Deer Question ????

My Question is

How Does What Deer Eat Affect The Way The Meat Taste ??

Like Sage makes a certon taste .

So how would the meat tast when deer eat acorns .

Or Corn .

What food source do you think makes deer mear taste better?

Old 09-21-2004, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Question ????

I personally never tasted anything different, i think deer taste like......................deer.

Old 09-21-2004, 05:33 PM

Yea, same here, I've never noticed any difference in taste, deer is deer. Only thing I have noticed is that since we can feed corn in LA there's alot more fat on deer now. Other than that it's still mmm-mmm good!
Old 09-21-2004, 08:49 PM
Spike

I HAVE noticed a difference in taste. I have killed deer in PA, NJ, GA, and NC. PA tends to have really good tasting deer in the area I hunt. The deer feed on corn and alfalfa and this is what I find to make deer taste the best. However, my grandad hunted upstate PA in the mountains where there eat acorns and such and he said he hated eating the meat. This is the same as in NJ deer there isnt too much farming going on so the deer dont get to eat the good stuff. Every deer that I have killed in farmland has tasted great, but the ones in mountainy areas and areas with no crops were not soo good.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:27 PM

I live in PA, where did you hunt? What county and city region
Old 09-22-2004, 06:25 AM

I have noticed a difference in how deer taste base on what they eat. Most of the mountain deer I have killed that have eaten acorns and other forest browse have had more of a gamey taste. The farm deer that have eaten more corn, soybeans and alfalfa usually taste better.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:51 AM

I have never hunted deer in the mountains but I know the deer in Nebraska taste diff. From the east (Farm field) and from the west (Grass lands) I like the grass land deer myself. But heck, as long as it's not a rutting buck, they all taste good!!
Old 09-23-2004, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think if you get a deer that is gamey, it depends on the shot and how well you take care of your venison from the field to the table. Also it may depend on your butcher, if your using a different butcher everytime then he may add stuff to his and another something else. If you do it your selft and experiment then i guess you might be able to tell, but i dont eat enough deer to really tast the difference. Heck my venison will only last for a few months and then the season is over and no more meat left.

Old 09-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do believe deer can taste different based on what they eat, I dont believe deer can taste gamey or not based on how you gutted and skinned it, I think thats a myth, no I know it is. LOL.
I have eaten turkey that had been eating to many chile petines, the meat was hot like the peppers it was eating. I also have found that pig can tast diffent from others. I have shot little pigs that tasted bad, you could smell it when you would cook it, smeeled like piss, nasty! and I have shot big 'ol boars that were excellent eating, so I think the size of a pig is also a myth.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:18 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: JimQuinn24

I live in PA, where did you hunt? What county and city region
I hunt in Berks County, in region 5C. Where I hunt there are a lot of corn and alfalfa fields.

Quick Reply: Deer Question ????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.